Choices

Jonathan woke with a start. For a few blissful seconds, he didn’t remember the horrors of the past few days. The realization slowly came to him, and anger boiled in him, followed by sadness. He exited his tent. David was waiting for him outside. “Sara’s asking for you. She doesn’t look good.” he said. She’s dying. An evil voice whispered in Jonathan’s head.He ignored it and went to her tent. David was right. She did look bad. She was pale and feverish. “Hey.” she said. Jonathan  smiled. “Hey.” She smiled back, then grimaced in pain, clutching the wound in her stomach. He reached for her hand and held it gently. “We’re looking for potion ingredients for you. But they’re rare.” he told her. “If I don’t make it…” she began to say. “Don’t. Just...don’t. I don't want to think about that.” Jonathan interrupted. She ignored him and continued. “If I don’t make it, continue to lead. Don’t shut down. Keep going.” He nodded and left the tent. Abe ran up to Jonathan. “It’s Tony. He’s been bitten.”

    Tony was carried in on a stretcher by Jessica and a man named Ed. “Where was he bit? Can we sever a wound to save him?” Jonathan asked. “Ed shook his head. “The bite is on his side. We’re going to need a healing potion or a golden apple.” “Then we’ll find some.” Jonathan said. “Let me explain something to you, mate. They are rare. We won’t be able to find one, never mind multiple.” Ed replied. “Well, I can’t just not try.” Jonathan said stubbornly. He exited the hospital tent. “Alright, everyone. Gather ‘round.” he called. People exited their tents and looked up from their work and meals. “ I’m going to need some people to come with me on a supply run. The object is to find healing potions or golden apples. Anything else useful is good, but lower priority.” Several people joined him and they left. The sun slowly started to dip below the horizon as they walked. Suddenly, Abe stopped. “Do you hear that?” he asked. The group paused to listen. Growling sounds could be heard in the distance. “C’mon.” said Jonathan. “They might not even catch up to us.” Just as he finished speaking, zombies, at least a dozen of them, burst through the trees. “Run!” Jonathan shouted. Abe and a woman from Justice named Grace fired arrows at their pursuers. Arrows fired back in retaliation as skeletons joined the hunt. David pulled out his sword and stabbed two zombies in the head with it. Unfortunately, his sword broke, leaving him defenseless. He charged at the skeleton and broke its bow over its head. “Oops.” he said. So he slammed it against the tree, killing it. Another zombie approached him. Out of weapons, he grabbed the skeleton’s skull and bashed it into the undead monster’s head. It collapsed. He kept running until they saw an elevated hut. “There!” shouted David.They climbed up the ladder to safety. They saw a testificate standing in a shadowy corner in the far end of the hut. “Are you okay?” Grace asked. A potion struck her in the chest and she collapsed, unconscious. It stepped out of the shadows to reveal itself as a witch. Jonathan attacked it, but it kept healing itself. David joined in, and it was killed. “It had healing potions. See if it has any left.” Jonathan ordered. The group searched the entire place. “It does.” Abe said. “How many?” Jonathan asked hopefully. Abe looked into Jonathan’s eyes with such despair that he knew Abe’s answer before he even spoke. “One.”