Escape

The group woke up in a prison cell with three other prisoners: two men, one wearing a lab coat and a woman. “Ah, you’re awake. I was wondering how long that would take.” said the man in the lab coat. “Who are you?” Xavier asked. “I’m Eric, this is Emma and George.” The group introduced themselves. “Where are you guys from?” Emma asked. “We came from a town called Justice. I’m the mayor. We saw this town and decided to check for survivors. Bad idea.” Xavier said. George nodded in agreement. “So, who exactly is this “Hangman” person?” David asked. “We don’t know.” Eric responded, but Jonathan had the feeling he was hiding something. “What’s your story?” he asked. “I was one of eight government scientists that were assigned to make biological weapons for the army. Then the Samarov twins betrayed us and caused this hell-on-earth mess.” “There were two men? A man named Smith told us there was only one.” David said. “Smith? Is he at Justice?” Eric asked. “He’s dead. He sacrificed himself for my friends.” Jonathan said. Eric bowed his head. “Well he probably felt guilty about his involvement in the creation of the end of the world. I know I am.” “What happened to the other scientists?” a man named Abe asked.  “The Samarovs survived, I’m here, Smith’s dead, two died in the initial event, the Hangman hanged one , and the last one...left.” “We have to figure out a way to get back to Justice!” Abe said desperately. “I have a pickaxe. They forgot to take it off me.” Caleb said. He swung it at the bars until they gave. “C’mon the armory’s this way!” said Emma. They entered and took weapons. They stormed out and ran. Men chased them with axes and swords. Caleb took down one man with his pickaxe. But another one snuck up on him and ran him through with his sword. Caleb collapsed. They kept running. Once they crossed the town line, they saw no pursuers. As they ran, Xavier noticed the name of the town: Gallows.