What You Do For Your Herd

"Well, would you look at that!" Manny exclaimed, "The tiger actually did it. How could we have doubted you?" He looked over at the saber with a smile. I was surprised at both Manny's reaction and at Diego actually getting us really close to Glacier Pass. Huh... maybe I really WAS wrong about Diego.

"Look at that! You're almost home little buddy" Sid said to the baby as we began to walk closer to where the humans stayed at. "My feet are sweaty." The sloth said to us. 

"Do we really have to get a newsflash from you every time your body does something?" Diego asked, turning his head slightly back towards him.

"He's doing it for attention. Just ignore him" Manny advised the male saber. 

"Seriously! My feet are really hot!!!" Sid exclaimed. I opened my mouth to say something, but I stopped when the sound of rumbling occurred. Manny and Diego stopped too. 

"Tell me that was was one of your stomachs." The mammoth said, looking at the two of us. Diego shushed him as we both listened in to the rumbling that occurred once again. Wait... nothing rumbles underground... unless... 

My eyes widen as I pushed Manny aside, saving him just in time from a blast of heat. 

"Thanks, Jade!!" He thanked with wide eyes. 

"No problem now run!!" I exclaimed as we all did so. As the four of us ran, a piece of ice fell, separating me from the group. I skidded to halt, nearly falling into the pit of lava. One more second and it would've been Death City for me.

I looked at how far the gap was. I breathed out before taking in a deep breath and jumping over the gap. When I felt land, I opened my eyes to see that I landed safely.

"Wow, I wish I could jump like that" Sid said, as I looked up, noticing he was looking at me.

"Wish granted," Manny said before throwing back his leg and kicking his friend across the ice. "Jade!" I looked at the mammoth, and he threw his head over to where Sid landed. I took in a breath before giving a nod of my head. I ran across his back and jumped, landing safely on the other side next to the sloth.

"Come on move faster!!" I heard Diego faintly urge the mammoth. "Have you noticed the river of lava??!" Manny yelled over the explosions. I saw the child look at Manny before burying his face into the mammoth's trunk. 

Manny then jumped across to the other side as a piece of ice dropped, leaving a gap between Diego and us. Steam rose out before Diego took the jump but didn't make it. My eyes widen as my heart stopped. Diego caught the edge and held on for dear life. Manny then noticed the dangling saber.

"Hold pinky!!" He exclaimed, giving the baby to Sid, who stood beside me. We watched as the mammoth went over to help his friend. Manny held out his trunk as he scooted closer to the green-eyed male. Once his trunk was close in reach, Diego reached out his paw. He managed to grab hold of Manny's trunk, and they both used all of their strength to pull the saber out.

I heard the faint sound of cracking and my heart began to race. Manny then used all of his strength to throw Diego, who landed very close to where Sid and I stood. Just as Manny was ready to head back-- CRACK !!! 

For everything that happened next, I felt as if was going in slow mo. The ice underneath him broke, and Manny fell. 

"MANNY!!" Sid and I cried as we heard the mammoth's trumpet become distant. My eyes teared up as I felt my legs begin to lose strength. I couldn't -- and wouldn't -- believe Manny was gone. Someone who I felt was like my actual family... was gone. 

The sound of rumbling brought me back to reality as we all looked back towards the edge. In a few seconds, a familiar mammoth was brought back up in the air. He landed on the ground with a loud thud, making the ground shake violently. Once the ground calmed down, Sid and I rushed to his side. 

"Manny, Manny, Manny you okay??" Sid asked."Come on say something anything!!" Manny said something, but it was mumbled. "What? We can't hear you" "

 You're standing on my trunk" Manny managed to breathe out though it looked very painful. I glanced down and pushed Sid's foot off the mammoth's trunk. He gasped the moment after. 

"Oh, you're okay!! You're okay!!" Sid cried in happiness as smiles came up on our faces.

"Why did you do that?" Diego asked softly, looking at Manny. "You could've have died trying to save me." 

"That's what you do in a herd... You look out for each other" Manny replied. 

"I don't know about you guys but we are the weirdest herd I've ever seen," Sid said as I looked at everyone around me. I smiled widely. 

A sloth, two sabers, a mammoth, and a human... Sid's right. We are the weirdest herd ever... and I can't believe that this herd... is one I can easily call my own.... Have I found a family that I can be myself around?  

I may not know the answer to what I thought but one thing's for sure... I don't ever  want to lose this herd.