Chapter Forty Two

Chapter Forty Two
Sang

I was right. Friday has brought me a lot of unwanted attention. Everyone knows my name, everyone knows what I look like, and everyone knows what happened Friday. When I walk by, they point and whisper, or they call out my name, telling me I did a 'good job'. All I did was—hopefully—stop a god awful tradition.

Luke wraps an arm around my shoulder as he leads us towards homeroom. He's careful of my bad shoulder, which I'm thankful for. North walks in front of us, everyone clearing a path for him.

My arm rests in my sling, and I hate it. I don't want to wear it, but Dr Green was right. The students are more considerate with it on. I even heard one person say I damaged it on Friday. I didn't bother to correct them, nor do I plan to. If that's how they think I hurt it, then it saves me having to lie.

I take my seat in homeroom, North behind me, Luke in front of me. I don't bother getting any books out, but instead just listen to what everyone is saying as I hide behind the curtain of my hair. My phone vibrates and I remove it from my pocket.

Gabriel: You're talk of the school, Trouble.

Another text comes through and I realise that I'm in a group chat with them all.

Silas: Hearing your name everywhere, Aggele Mou.
Kota: Same here. Now stop using your phones.
Mr Blackbourne: Are you alright, Miss Sorenson?
Dr Green: If you need anything, don't hesitate to come and see me, Pookie.
Victor: Apparently Rocky is going to ask Sang out on a date.
North: Fuck, no. Over my dead body.

I twist in my seat to look at him and his dark eyes look up from his phone. I don't say anything, my throat tight and tongue to thick and heavy to form words. "Don't worry, Baby," he whispers. "Rocky won't get a chance to."

He starts texting on his phone and I turn back in my seat, focusing on mine as I re-read the messages. I sigh and write out a reply.

Sang: I'm fine. Thank you, Mr Blackbourne. I won't hesitate to come and see you if I need anything from you, Dr Green.

I don't mention anything else in my text and I barely glance at the responses I get. I just slip my phone into an inside pocket of my bag and leave it there. I'm more careful of where I have my phone. I don't want to accidentally send out an emergency call with the new phone apps.

I want to hide and curl into myself. If I had known what I did on Friday would bring me this much attention, I wouldn't have done it. Shut up, Sang, an inner voice says. You would have done it regardless. Okay, maybe I would have. I couldn't allow any of the guys to get hurt, it was as simple as that.

Luke twists in his seat and mouths, "Are you okay?" I nod my head in response, unable to use my voice when I can feel the weight of unwanted eyes on me.

When the bell rings, we wait for everyone else to leave the room first. Once it's clear, Luke is hooking his arm around my shoulders and pulling me into his side. I only manage a wave to North as he goes of in the opposite direction of us.

When we arrive at English, I find that only Kota is here. I want to ask where Gabriel is, but when I see a group of girls looking at me and whispering behind their hands I lose the little courage I had.

Kota sees me struggling. "Oh, Sweetie," he whispers.

I shake my head at him. I don't want the pity I know he feels for me. I've done well all weekend. Even with only knowing Axel, Corey, and the others for no more than an hour before I was talking in front of them. And talking to Dad as well. That's so huge for me, but in front of these girls and the rest of the students at this school, I can't do it.