Chapter Four

Chapter Four
•Mr Owen Blackbourne•

The door opens to mine and Sean's office but I keep my eyes fixed on the screen of my laptop, pretending to look at everything when the screen is blank. I heard his voice before he even opened the door. He continues on talking.  "You can also use the email or phone number to let me know if you have any other problems or can't make it into school because you're ill." What phone number?

The room goes silent, so quiet that if Luke was here, I'd be able to hear the crumbs from his cupcake hitting the rough carpet in our office. I feel the weight of eyes on me and it's not until Sean clears his throat and speaks that I look at him. "Miss Sang, this is Mr Blackbourne, Mr Blackbourne, this is Miss Sang Sorenson."

I glare at Sean for a second, noticing his all too happy face a little brighter than what it was before he left ten minutes ago. Then I'm shifting my eyes to the person a few feet away from him. I know my mask slips because I feel the muscles in my face twist and twitch. I immediately slam it back down, hiding my shock because this was something I was not expecting.

Miss Sang Sorenson.

The first thing I notice is her eyes hiding behind her glasses, the brilliant green contrasting with the black frames. The second thing I notice is how she's trying to hide behind her hair; I've seen it before but it's never bothered me until now. Until her. I want to reach out and push her hair out of her face so I can see it properly, see her.

I want to kick myself at my reaction; wasn't I the one telling Sean not even half an hour ago to stop saying her name because he kept speaking it like the best thing to ever leave his mouth?

When Miss Sorenson shifts on her feet, I realize that I've just stared. Again, I want to kick my own ass. If only it was possible. "Miss Sorenson." I nod politely in her direction before moving my eyes to Sean, my best friend, who is standing there like a damn idiot with a huge grin on his face.

He knows she gave me a reaction, that I'm affected by her. I won't sit here and say my heart didn't beat harder in my chest when my eyes first met hers, because it did. I don't do reactions like this to girls; I never have done so why am I starting now? Especially to a girl I know I can't have.

Flashing me one more grin, Sean turns back to Miss Sorenson. I move my eyes to the screen of my laptop, the plain blue screen saver not as great to look at as the beautiful girl standing in mine and Sean's office. "Have a seat."

From the corner of my eye I see Sean wave to the chair that North had sat on when he first arrived here an hour ago. He'd wanted to quickly speak with us regarding the church up the street from Kota and Nathan that his Uncle had purchased to turn into a diner.

Miss Sorenson takes her seat, unhooking her bag over her head and placing it on the floor. My eyes move from the computer screen to the application form for Miss Sorenson. I reach over, ignoring Sean's amused look as I pick it up. Sitting back in my chair, my eyes move over the words.

Hendricks said that Mr Sorenson rang and asked about a place for his daughter so it wasn't actually Mr Sorenson who filled it out. Not many details were taken. Name, address and a contact number for Mr Sorenson himself and an email address for Miss Sorenson. No phone number.

Previous school history is clean and reports are spectacular, the highest in her class according to teacher's comments. No siblings and I notice no mention of a Mrs Sorenson.

What catches my eye though is the question 'Does your child play any instruments OR wanting to learn to play any instruments?' Beneath it is a the horrible scribble of Hendricks writing; Violin and Piano.