9; Suits

Amelia

"Wait."

My feet stop and I shut my eyes, silently hating myself. I purse my lips and turn around.

"Yes?" I ask. Vincent licks his lips, his eyes never leaving mine. I squint at him, what does he want?

"There's this ball tomorrow night," he says, standing broad. I suck in my breath.

"So I heard," I reply. Vincent looks surprised and stares at me.

"How did you know? The word of it hasn't even been passed yet."

I chuckle, "Annie told me."

Vincent nods, "of course."

Silence falls upon us. Just the sound of our breath. Looking at Vincent who was in his thoughts, I shrug and turn around again.

"Go with me. Be my date for the night," Vincent proclaims. I blink and quickly turn around. I lost the connection from my lungs to my throat immediately.

"Huh?" I'm shocked.

"I'm not asking, I'm demanding," he announces, but his features show different. His earth-colored eyes show hope and a little excitement. I hide the smirk and clear my throat.

"When will you be collecting me?" I ask. He smirks.

"7 pm. Sharp. No later than 7:01. Got it?" he says, the smirk still on his face. I squint at him, what's with the smirk?

"Got it," I say, a smile approaching my lips.

****

I push the doors, entering Annie's bedroom. She squeals as she hears the thunder of the doors.

"Amelia! I have your dress and your mask for the ball," she says with excitement. I smile and walk over to sit next to her on her bed. I cross my legs as I face her.

"I have a date," I announce, looking in her earthy brown eyes like Vincent's. Annie's jaw falls.

"Who?! Tell me right now!" she screeches, gripping my arms. I open my mouth to tell who, but I quickly stop and just stare at her mischievously.

I just grin and shrug my shoulders, "you'll know tomorrow night."

Annie lets out an irritated breath and gets out of bed. "Well, I don't want to show you the dress, but I'll show you the mask."

She quickly shuffles around her bag and pulls out two masks. One was a black laced like a mask shaped almost like a butterfly. It has beautiful golden specks here and there, too. I'm sure it'll make Annie look like a true beauty if that is hers.

"Is that mine?" I ask, pointing at the golden one. Annie shakes her head.

"It's mine. This is yours," she smirks as she lifts up the most beautiful mask I've ever seen.

It was white and gold. Its gold wings were stretched almost as if whoever was meant to wear the mask will forever reach the sky and disappear to a new star. The silver linings that were carved in different swirls and patterns deep within the heavy gold only made it more beautiful. I stare at it in awe. It's amazing.

"I .." I was completely speechless. Annie catches my amazement and smiles dropping it on the end of the bed.

"Yes, yes. I know, it's beautiful. It's yours, so it'll make you beautiful with it," Annie grins as she passes me the mask. The mask was in my hands and I just gape at it.

"Quit looking like a fish and put it on!" I laugh at Annie's determination and I turn the mask so it's facing me. I push the mask to my face and tie the black ribbon into a bow at the back of my hair.