8; Mute

2 weeks later

Amelia

It's been 2 weeks and he's been avoiding me. I know he knows we kissed, but he acts like it never happened. I'm miserable. The kiss leaves me aching for more and I am a fool to think that he wants me so affectionally. He only took me to keep his wolf at bay. I hate it.

"Would you like some cranberries?" Annie ruins my thoughts, entering my room. I roll my eyes.

"No," I snap. I close my eyes, breathing deeply. "I mean, no, thank you."

Annie sighs and walks over to me. She sits right next to me, the bed dipping beside me. She places the bowl of the deep red colored berries on my nightstand.

"You alright?" Annie asks, her hand soothing my back. I sigh.

Let me catch you up. Annie and I have become very close friends. She's been very bothering about the topic of Vincent and me that one other day. I just keep telling her that I'm his maid.

She's been suspenseful these past two weeks because I haven't been "in service" for Vincent. I look up to Annie's deep chocolate brown eyes.

"I am not alright. I miss home. I miss my brother. I miss my best friends. I barely have any friends. The only company I have is you, the maids, and the guards around here," I sigh, so distressfully. Annie looks at me sympathetically.

"I'm truly sorry. That's how maids are," she replies. I let out a harsh breath. If only she knew. Suddenly, her eyes brighten up and she smiles so big it reaches her eyes. She slams her hands against her head.

"Okay, besides missing your old pack. There is going to be a ball tomorrow night!" her smile beams so big, it shows her pearly whites.

I blink once, then twice. A ball? I remember going to a ball with my family once. It was one of the best nights. It was amazing. They served amazing drinks, amazing food. I could never forget it. Oh, and how I danced with those single women.

"Seriously?" I beam. Annie beams back, knowing dances were definitely an interest of mind.

Annie nods, "yes, indeed."

"Also, it's a masquerade ball," she smirks, "maybe then, you'll find your mate unintentionally."

I blush harshly, remembering the kiss Vincent and I had shared. "Stop it."

"Woah, you're blushing. Mind telling me who it is?" she raises one of her brows, leaning in.

"No one, just the thought of finding a mate makes me blush, okay?" I throwback at her teasingly. She just grins and leans back.

"Sure, whatever you say," she replies. Seconds of silence passes over to us.

"I hope I find my mate at the ball," Annie says out of nowhere. Her tone was different. More surrendered. I stare at her silently. She notices my silence, so she continues.

"He..," she pauses. Annie looks up. I gasp when I notice her eyes start to water.

"Annie, tell me what he's done," I say softly, placing my hand on her hand for comfort.

Annie sniffs. "God, we were so in love, Amelia."

"He's an Alpha. He was loving. He was the definition of amazing. I gave my everything to him. I gave him my first kiss, my virtue, everything. I poured my heart out to him. It seemed like he would never do the same," Annie sighs, taking a sharp breath.

"One day, I found out that he was fúcking around with one of my maids. God, you don't know how broken I felt. The nights alone where my body trembled with pain. The nights where I wished he'd come to me and hold me so tightly to rid me of the horrible pain," she explains. My heart lightly runs fast.

"One night, he told me he was tired of me. He told me that he didn't want me anymore." Anger urges inside me.

"How the hell does he not want you anymore? You're his mate!" I shout with anger, not caring that I wasn't controlling myself at that moment.

"I know..," Annie looks down, a single tear dripping.

"I told him the same thing, but he laughed in my face. He said he's fallen in love with another. That what we had was nothing but foolishness." My mouth gapes, tears beginning to pool my eyes, too.

Annie takes a moment to stare into nothing, her eyes showing so many emotions. Heartbreak, anger, hurt. She takes a breath, letting it out. Her hands move in a swift movement, wiping her fallen tears. Then her hand moves to my tears.

"Don't cry for me. This all happened 4 years ago. I've put everything all in the past," she flashes a smile, but I saw the hurt in them.

Instantly, there was a question wanting to blurt out.

"Do you still feel the pain? Either he's doing it with her or they just share mouth to mouth?" I ask, knowing that saying more would've hurt her worse than now. The tips of her lips tug a little.

"No, thank God. He broke the link before we broke apart.."

I close my eyes, suddenly regretting asking. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. As I said, it's over."

I frown, "but you'll probably see him tomorrow night."

She laughs, more like forces it. "Mhm."

A thought comes in mind.

"How 'bout we beauty you up? Make you so beautiful and sexy that he can't resist," I insist. Annie looks at me as if I've grown 3 heads.

"You're crazy. He made it clear that we're never going back," she states. I roll my eyes at the statement.

"And who in the world would believe that? You're his mate. Just because you two broke the bond does not mean you two still don't feel that little connection. Who knows? The spark might even grow," I say, winking at her.

She rolls her eyes back at me and shakes her head. "You're really obnoxious."

"You love me," I smirk, wrapping my arms around her.

"That, I do," she smiles.

****

After Annie and I had goofed around till our stomachs were in pain, she decided to go look for dresses. She said she'll find a dress that'll be irresistible to my mate.

I just laugh at the thought. With a toothy smile, I instantly bump into a wall. Holy shít, but walls don't have abs. I look up and there stands my mate, Vincent. I shoot a fake smile, trying to get out of his way. Instead, Vincent follows my directions, trying to stop my way.

After a minute of us doing the same thing over and over and my tempt of getting through his large body, I give up.

"Okay, what do you want?" I snap, placing my right hand on my waist. Vincent doesn't reply as he just stares at me. I suddenly feel creeped out. Can he not?

Moments and moments and he still hasn't said anything to me. Seriously? Has he gone mute after that kiss two weeks ago?

"Excuse me, are you mute?" I say, leaning, but realizing I was too close so I lean back.

I shake my head, "whatever."

Turning around, I decided to head the other way.

"Wait."