British Bird - Chapter Twenty Two

British Bird
Chapter Twenty Two
Sang

Flashback: Thirteen Years Old

Everyone now has the sickness bug. By staying by my side, everyone else has caught it. I feel terrible about it too.

Uncle is the only one that doesn't seem as bad. He had the worst of it overnight. I asked why he was up, and he told me that he's a person that can't spend the day in bed, and has decided to lounge on the sofa.

I'm sitting on the second sofa in the room, watching as he flicks through the channels, finally stopping on some reality TV show.

"Uncle, is there anywhere I can go and order some food to take to the guys?" Everyone except for Luke and North are at their own home. And the Taylor brothers are here, obviously. I want to do something nice for them all. Get them soup and some fresh bread rolls. Maybe a slice of apple pie for Sean, and a muffin for Luke.

"Girl, that's a long walk," he says. My shoulders drop and a sigh leaves me. "But maybe I can call someone who can give you a ride and be your chauffeur for the day." Hope blossoms in my chest.

He reaches for his phone and a few seconds later it's at his ear. "Hey, Axel, can you do me a favor?" Uncle explains to whomever Axel is what I want to do. When he hangs up, he looks to me. "He'll be here soon, so go get yourself ready."

I beam at him. "Thanks, Uncle."

"You're welcome, girl." I bounce up the stairs to my room. I'm already dressed in a pair of white jean shorts, but I want to change my top. After changing my t-shirt to a tank, I pull my hair up in a pony tail. I pocket my phone, and then go to the drawer where I kept the spending money Cara and Johnny gave me before we left the UK.

Leaving my room I go to Cara and Johnny's door. Knocking lightly, I push it open. It's dark, the curtains drawn. I tip toe on my sandals to the bed on Cara's side. "Hey, Cara," I whisper, shaking her shoulder.

Her head comes up off the pillow and she peels her eyes open. "Hmm?"

"I'm going out. Uncle called someone named Axel to drive me around," I tell her.

"Okay, Baby," she whispers. "Axel is a good lad, okay? You'll be safe with him."

"Academy?" I ask, a smile curling at my lips.

She laughs lightly. "How'd you guess?"

I kiss her on the forehead and tell her to sleep. I'll come and wake her when I get back just so she knows I'm home.

Home.

It's amazing how I feel so at home here.

Downstairs, I go straight for kitchen to put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. I don't turn it on though, as I'm unsure how to do it. In the wash room, I fold washing out the dryer, and then put wet clothes in, so that they'll dry while I'm out. Might as well get some housework done while I'm waiting for Axel to show.

Just as I finish sweeping the kitchen floor, there's a knock at the door.

Uncle beats me to the door and pulls it open. Standing on the other side is a boy... an older teen boy, probably almost hitting his twenties. Wavy hair is tucked behind his ears and glasses are perched on his nose. "How you doing, Uncle?" he asks.

"I feel like shit, boy." Uncle looks to me, and I make my way over. "This is who you'll be driving around today. Sang, this is Axel Toma. Axel, this is Sang Sorenson, Cara and Johnny's daughter."