Chapter 41

Disclaimer: lul school has taken it's toll on me and i'm only like a third of the way through

~~~

Thinking
Talking
Kurama
Talking to Kurama

~~~

"So you're telling me that Mr. Shisui Uchiha, the only non-arse in the Uchiha clan, knew how to swim but died by drowning in a river after falling off a cliff? Ironic."

"It isn't ironic if you see it with your own eyes." Itachi added, and Rin shut up instantly.

'God I probably f**ked up.'

She was about to respond after a few seconds of thinking before stopping herself. She had remembered that he had it worse than her. She hadn't experienced the feeling of killing all of her loved ones.

But he did.

She kept her mouth shut and watched the rain fall as the heat from the fire warmed her up.

"...Sorry." she mumbled, and he looked at her, confused.

"What do you mean?" He asked, poking the charred logs with a poker before adding another one.

"For bringing Shisui up. It's a bad topic that brings back your bad memories. I don't wanna make you sad again." she murmured, hugging her knees as she rested on a beanbag, covered in a fluffy blanket.

"It's... alright. I'm fine." he said, setting the poker down as he too enjoyed the heat. The two of them sat in silence before Itachi spoke once more. "So, how long are you going to be out here?" he asked.

"It's only been about 3 or so months. I still have like two more years. Might spend the majority of my time here, but other than that, I'll be on the move. Hook me up with anything that involves money. I need it." she casually answered, and she sighed, lying on her back as she silently listened to the rain on the roof and the crackle of the fire.

"What caused you to be added into the bingo book?"

"I mean, if I'm already called a monster, why not be one? In all seriousness, I just needed some more allowance. The stuff I got monthly wasn't enough, and because no one would hire me, I resorted to killing. Most of the time it was pure luck that I didn't get killed, but I almost died once. You can thank the dude sealed inside for keeping me alive."

'The name's Kurama, not dude!'

'Yeah yeah, whatever.'

"Anyways, back to the dark topics, have you ever thought of... you know."

"Hm?"

"Killing yourself."

The mood became somber, and as if on cue, the fire dimmed. "If you're wondering, I wanted to on two occasions. Once just when I was 5, surprisingly, and the last time was when I was 10, so not too long ago. I won't touch on anything other than that." she casually said.

"...I have thought about it." he muttered, and Rin nodded. 

"I see." Standing up, she wrapped the blanket around her and walked to the kitchen. "I'm gonna make some hot cocoa. You want any?" she asked, and he shook his head.

"I'm fine."

~~~

"Good morning..." Itachi mumbled the next day, rubbing his eyes as he walked in the kitchen. It was spotless, as per usual, but the sight of a few dishes in the sink alerted him. 'Where's Rin?'

"Rin? Are you awake?" he called out, but no answer. "Rin?" Walking to her room, the bed was empty, and none of her belongings were to be seen. The only thing out of the ordinary was a note on the bed.