Rogue

Echo suddenly couldn't breath. She wanted to hurry up to her twin and rip the ring from his finger, but the most she could do was stare at her father. The father and son conversed, but Echo didn't make an effort to hear what they were saying. Before too much longer, Jace pulled the ring off of his finger and Valentine was gone.

As Alec and Jace contained Hodge, Luke called his pack and Echo stood far away from her brother. She bit her thumbnail to keep her distracted, but it hardly did anything. The anger was still emitting from Jace, but the Shadowhunter was trained to keep his emotions bottled up; Echo could feel it just itching to escape.

Alec soon peeled away from Hodge and Jace, and Echo didn't want to be anywhere near the two. With her hands in her pockets, she joined her surrogate father and her husband.

"Valentine really messed with his head."

"What at Renwick's?"

Echo figured they were talking about Jace.

"He went through a lot recently, but I thought we had settled it."

Echo shook her head, "No, I can feel it, it's like something is killing him inside. I don't know what it is, but it's starting to affect me too."

Echo shivered at the darkness wafting her way.

Luke shook his head, "This is all too familiar. I saw a similar thing with Valentine eighteen years ago."

Alec shook his head, "Jace isn't Valentine."

"Not yet, but we gotta keep an eye on him."

Echo glanced back behind her shoulder and saw that two very important personnel were missing, "Where'd they go?"

Alec looked down at Echo, "What do you mean?" Alec followed Echo's gaze.

The three of them shared a glance then went in the only direction that they could have gone.

***

After almost an hour of trying to track Jace, Alec finally got a hold of him via cell.

"Where the hell are you?"

"I'm going after Valentine. Go help Clary."

"You're acting crazy! What ever Valentine's telling you, it's not true!"

"That's just it, Alec. It is true. He's my father. He taught me how to fight. Not to be weak."

"Jace, he is my father too! You can't let him control you like this! This isn't you!"

Echo let out a strained breath.

"It is me. It's always been me. He raised me to be a killer. Now I'm gonna make him regret it. Go help Clary. She needs both of you."

Echo put her hands in her hair and pulled on the roots.

Alec shook his head, "No, no. You don't have to do this, you're not a—Jace?" Alec pulled the phone from his ear and couldn't believe that Jace had hung up on him.

Echo looked up at Alec with shining green eyes, "What do we do?"

Alec racked his brain for an answer, but could only come up with one plan, "Magnus, he could help us."

Echo let out a sigh, "Okay." Echo was starting to feel the way a person would feel when getting their blood drawn. Weak and dizzy; although she didn't want to show it.

The couple hurried to Magnus' lair and were relieved when they saw Isabelle. The trio went up into the heart of the lair, but each gave a different look of confusion when they saw Camille pull away from kissing Magnus.

Magnus looked right at Alec, "Well this is awkward."

Alec pulled in a breath and took a step forward, "Where's the book?"

The Warlock gave a humorless laugh, "It's complicated."

Echo could feel the jealously ring around Alec, "Clearly."

The petite vampire looked over at Alec with a smirk, "I have it."

Echo wasn't liking the vibe she was getting from the vampire.

Magnus still had wide eyes, "And she's graciously offered it in exchanged for her freedom."

Echo looked up at Magnus with glowing eyes, "And her freedom requires a lip-lock?"

The Warlock seemed to be stuck on his actions and words for once.

Alec took a step toward Camille, "We don't negotiate with prisoners."

"Prisoner? I beg to disagree."

To the side of Camille, Magnus twirled his finger around his ear then pointed to Camille, indicating she was crazy. Echo could feel that Magnus was just trying to get Alec to focus on something other than the fact that Camille kissed Magnus.

"You see, I'm your only chance at saving the world. You need me."

Echo rolled her eyes at the vampire as she kept talking.

"You certainly have a type, don't you Magnus? He's cute. Too bad it won't last."

Echo's eyes shined as she received the manipulation from Camille.

"Say that again and you won't last." Isabelle was defending her brother.

Alec sighed, "I don't have time for this. Where's Clary?"

Magnus looked as if he wanted to say something, but he just pointed behind him. The husband and wife shared a glance before walking into the back room. Clary and Simon were sitting on the bed and Echo realized that she hadn't seen Simon since he was turned.

Echo let out a breath as she entered the room.

"Alec, Echo; Did you find Hodge?"

Alec sighed, "Yeah, but Valentine has the Cup."

"What?" Clary glanced at Echo then Simon, "Were too late."

Echo shook her head, "No, we aren't. I haven't," Echo paused; she now had to accept the fact that Valentine could control her, "I haven't felt compelled yet. We still have time."

Clary glanced behind the couple, "Where's Jace? Is he okay?"

"He went after Valentine, by himself. It's like he's totally lost it. I tried to stop him, but he wouldn't listen."

Clary shook her head, "We need to find Jace. He's in a dark place. We don't know what he's going to do."

The youngest sister went to leave, but Alec stopped her, "Luke is out looking for him. Jace wants us to stay on mission."

Echo sighed, "That means we have to find the book."

"He's right. We have to wake up your mom. It's our only way to stop Valentine." Echo eyed Simon, but he just looked like ordinary Human Simon; minus the glasses. He didn't look like a vampire; but Echo could feel it.

Echo shivered and she didn't have to turn around to know that Camille was approaching with a smirk on her pale face.

"Ready to sign?" Camille brushed past Echo and Clary and went straight to Simon.

Simon kept his face straight, "Take us to the apartment, give us the book, then you can have your pardon."

Camille turned, as if she was expecting for the Shadowhunters to back her up. When Camille and Echo locked eyes she straightened up with a strained smile, "I wouldn't have it any other way."