Echo watched with agony as Luke was pushed into the car and was out of her sight. She ran forward at the retreating car, yelling.

"Luke! No!"

Echo didn't get much further than a few feet. She knew it was pointless to follow a speeding car. She put her hands in her head and felt her chest constrict.

"Damn it! Damn it!" Echo kicked at the gravel and a cloud of dust pulled up from the ground. "This wasn't supposed to happen! Any of this!" Echo shouted into the dark. She didn't expect anybody to answer her.

Alec came up behind her, "Echo come on, we have to get you back to the Institute. There's nothing you can do right now."

Echo turned to face Alec and he was shocked to see her eyes sparkle in the dark, almost as if they had their own glow. Alec held out his hand wanting to get her out of there before somebody else tried to kill her. Echo hesitantly took his hand and she followed Alec and Isabelle back to the Institute.

**

Echo sat on her bed in the Institute and looked at the photo in her hands. When she saw the contents of the box they had found in Clary's room, Echo suddenly had a memory flash. It was when she was around the age as she was in the photo. She was with a boy and they were carefully playing in the grass in Idris. And that's where the memory ended.

Echo looked up when she heard a slight knock on her doorframe. Alec stood with his arms crossed.
"You were looking at that in the alley. Did you get that from the loft?"

Echo sighed but nodded, "I had it stashed behind the bookcase in my room."

Alec stepped into the room, "May I?"

Echo bit her lip but held the picture up and Alec took it. After a moment of silence, Alec spoke.

"This is you and Valentine. And your mother? But who is the boy?"

Echo looked up at Alec through her lashes, her heart was beating rapidly in her chest and she felt like she was going to throw up, "The boy is my brother. He's my twin, I think."

Alec's eyebrows went wide, "You have a twin? Does Clary know about this?"

Echo shook her head, "No, I barley remember him. All I know is that I think my mother burned down the house in Idris with him locked inside."

Alec sat next to Echo still with the picture in his hands, "Why do you think she did that?"

Echo shrugged, "I don't know. When Clary opened the box, I remembered that every year on my birthday, my mother would open the box and cry. I caught her once when I was nine. But she just pretended that I didn't see anything. I think she made Magnus take that memory."

"Why do you have this picture then if your mother never told you about him?"

Echo took the picture from Alec's hands, "I found it in a scrapbook a few years ago and I felt an emotional connection with it, so I kept it. This, I think, was the last picture of all of us together. I think my mother was even pregnant with Clary when this was taken."

Isabelle walked past the door and stopped when she noticed Alec, "Can I steal him for a minute?"

Echo turned the picture over so Isabelle couldn't see it and nodded, "Yeah."

Alec gave Echo one last glance and left the room. Once she was alone, Echo took the picture and put it in her drawer with one final glance at it. She hid it under her shirts and socks, hoping no one would go snooping.

Echo sat on the chair that was next to the window and pulled her Stele out of her pocket. She inspected the runes carved into the stone and she realized that she didn't know any of the runes. She knew what runes were on her body but only because she had been told what they were, but when she saw a rune in the Institute or on a Shadow weapon, she realized that she didn't know what any of them were used for.