Simon gave a smile, "You might know the Shadow World, but trust me. I know Brooklyn."

Clary gave a smirk and Simon was suddenly striding over to the wall and jumped over it. Echo's eyes went wide and she glanced up at Alec.

The trio eventually followed Simon into the back ally and up the fire escape. When they reached the apartment Echo was stunned to see the entire outside of their loft covered in runes of different sizes and colours.

"Yo, Clary, what's with all these tags?"

"You can see the runes?" Alec asked with a slight hesitation.

Simon folded his arms, "Yeah, kind of hard to miss."

Alec let his eyes narrow, "For a Shadowhunter. It should be invisible to most Mundanes. When did you get the sight?"

Alec took a step toward Simon as Echo examined the runes.

"I don't know." Simon shrugged.

Clary smiled over at Simon and went to the door and pulled on it, but it didn't budge.

Clary looked over at Simon, "There's only one flaw in your plan here Simon."

"Here let me try."

Both Echo and Alec watched Simon with curious eyes.

Simon gripped the doorknob and pulled open the dead-bolted door with incredible ease. Echo and Alec furrowed their brows and Clary looked impressed.

The group entered the dark loft and noticed that both Clary's and Echo's room had been torched. Everything they owned was ash. They went into Echo's room first and every memory she had built was burned into the ground.

Her once red walls were black and burnt. The carpet under their feet was covered in debris and ash. Echo walked over to her desk and saw the picture of her and Clary was hardly recognizable. The books stacked high on her dresser, were no more than crumpled heaps of destruction. The photographs that she had taken were gone and she couldn't feel any worse about the situation.

Echo knelt down when she stepped on a photograph and picked up the photo. This particular photo was an interesting angle of the Empire State building. This was one of the first pictures she had taken that she was proud of. She loved the picture. Echo let the picture fall back to the ground and she pulled the group out of her room and followed Clary into hers.

Clary's room was much like Echo's; everything was burnt and ashen.
Clary picked up a picture from her nightstand and held it up so that Echo could see it. It was a picture of a man dressed in a Military uniform. Jocelyn had said that this man was their father.

"There's nothing left."

Alec walked about the room, "Of course there isn't. Your mother was trying to erase that either of you ever existed. So neither of you could be tracked."

"These floor boards." Simon looked up, "They sound different in these two spots."

Simon bent down and pulled up a plank of hardwood and Alec pushed him away.

Alec reached down and pulled a box from underneath the floorboards. The box was unharmed by the once fire.

Alec held it up, "Is this the box you remember?"

Alec handed it to Clary and Echo sucked in a breath of air; She remembered the box very clearly, but she didn't know what was inside.

Clary opened the box and inside was a shoe meant for a baby and a raddle.

Echo let out an "oh, my god." As she realized what this stuff was. But nobody had a chance to ask her, because a noise behind them made Alec rush forward.