Thomas

{Charlotte's point of view}

Shawn and I waited anxiously for the doctor to come back in with our baby. Even though I was excited to meet her, I was still in a state of sadness, knowing that my other baby did not make it.
"Shawn, are you okay", I ask gently.
"I'm fine, why wouldn't I be okay?", he replied.
"Because you lost a baby too Shawn". I say, taking a calm breath.
It took him a second before he came and sat on my bed and cried.
"Charlotte I feel so useless, I don't know what to say to make you feel better and it's killing me."
"You don't have to say anything, you're by my side and that's all I need. We're gonna get through this Shawn."
"I.. I guess. But we can't ever forget about him."
"And we won't. We'll have a proper burial and.... we need to give him a name". I say.
"Thomas", Shawn says straight away.
"I love that name". I reply.

We heard a subtle knocking at the door and the Doctor came in, holding a small baby.
"Charlotte, here's your daughter."

And with that she placed this small little person against my chest.
"Now, just as a precaution we would like to keep her in for a week, just so that we know she is strong enough. Of course you both will be able to visit here whenever. But I'll leave you to it for now".

I didn't really hear what she said because I was focusing purely on the little baby that I'm holding.
"Shawn... she's so beautiful."
He kneels over by my bed and strokes her little hand.
"I couldn't agree more. Words can't describe my love for her."
"After every argument, after every fight, after every we've been through, they don't matter anymore."
"It's just us, our little family."
"I have a name Shawn." I said, giving her a little kiss.
"What's that?"
"Laila."
"Hello Laila", Shawn said, looking at her with his big brown eyes.
"She looks a lot like you", I say.
"Is that a good thing?" He smiles.
"Obviously", I laugh.

Whilst holding Laila, it felt like all sadness was lifted. Like this was it.

"I love you so much my baby. Mummy's going to make sure you're safe and happy and always loved." I say quietly.

"Shawn, do you want to cuddle her?" I ask.
"Yeah," he said as I lifted her up to him.

"Wow, she's like the size of my hands", he smiled.
"Shawn, put her on your chest, she'll want to feel close."
"Oh, sorry I forgot."
He sat down and took off his shirt, and laid Laila against him carefully.

I look over and Shawn is talking to her so quietly I didn't know what he was saying. he was smiling like a goof.
He was giving her lots of little kisses as well.

I smiled to myself, looking at my family and feeling all the love in the room.