I Need You, And I Need Us

{Charlotte's point of view}

"He's not the reason I came here today Charlotte." Shawn said.
"Well what is?", I replied.
"The fact that I love you and can't get you out of my head."
"Oh come on Shawn", I said.
I felt my heart drop into my stomach, saying that, because although I want to say it back, I just can't.
"No Charlotte, I came here tonight because when you realise you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible".
"Shawn, maybe I can't take you back. Maybe I've gotten over you and I'm trying to move on. You can't just come back now. You had other chances, maybe you've left it too late. Or maybe you had to finish your tour and album....", I say trying to hold back my tears.

"What? Don't you know?".
"Know what?" I replied.
"Charlotte I never went on those tours and I never finished the album. I couldn't." He said.
"Why?"
"Because they were the reason we broke up. They weren't as important as you-"
"That doesn't mean anything Shawn..."
"I couldn't physically do those concerts because I was a fucking mess. I still am."
"Shawn, it wasn't easy for me. Every single second of every single day, I was reminded of you". I said holding my bump. "She's my focus now Shawn".
"Charlotte I know that, she's mine too... Just give me a reason why we can't be together."
Shawn says assertively.
"Because of our lives Shawn. We have completely different paths. You're a famous singer, who loves what he does. And I'm just a normal person."
"Do you not love me?", Shawn asks with pain flooding his eyes.
"Shawn I loved you since I was 15. And I can't imagine a day when I won't..."
"Then can't we make things work?".
"No Shawn, I can't keep being second best... Please just go." I said with tears pouring down my face.
"Please-"
"Shawn just go. Go home, forget about me. One day you'll be the guy who would have sold out Madison Square Garden. I know that's your dream. And you'll have lots of number one albums... And that will be easier to achieve without me. I love you and I know you love singing. But please Shawn, just go".
"I can't do this. I can't leave. I can't forget you. I can't move on from you. I can't stop loving you, because falling in love with you was so easy and so amazing and I never want to stop falling in love with you. I don't want to be with anybody other than you and I wish you could understand that. I love you, and only you..."

I sat down on the sofa, wiping my tears on my jumper sleeves. Shawn came and sat next to me and placed his warm hand against face, resting on my cheek.
"I am so sorry. I never meant to hurt you, with the tours and in generally. And with the baby. God the baby. All my stress got built up inside of me and I took it out on anything and every good thing I had left and I lost everything. I need you, and I need us."

"I need you too Shawn..."
I placed my head on his chest and I cried. He stroked my hair, making me feel loved.
"I love you so much Shawn. I'm just so afraid of missing you. And I thought if we weren't together, then I wouldn't. But I couldn't stop myself loving you because you're my everything." And I'm so scared, how can I raise a baby? I'm going to be the worst mum ever. I'm going to make so many mistakes and I don't want our daughter to have a disappointment as a mum".

Shawn leant back on the sofa and just smiled at me.
"Can you hear yourself? Charlotte, you're gonna be the best mum ever, because you have so much love to give for our baby. You put her first, even when it was affecting your happiness. And don't forget, I'm gonna try and be as involved as I can. I don't want to miss a moment."
"So what are we gonna do Shawn?", I ask, as he puts his hands around mine.
"Well, first thing tomorrow I'm going to look at apartments that I can rent so I'm close to you both. And I can come round here and I'll make sure there's a baby room there so the both of you can stay round. And then we can go Pickering anytime we want."
"That sound so perfect Shawn." I smile.

And with that, he leans closer to me and gives me a slow kiss on my lips. And my heart fluttered just as hard as it did as the first time.

We laid there for a while, with just my head on his chest, hearing his heartbeat.

And then a sense of complete happiness came over me.
I was in denial. I never believed that someone like Shawn could be in love with me. But he is. He loves me.

Suddenly I felt my bump kick.
"Shawn!".
"What!".
"She's kicking", I said, placing Shawn's hands across my belly.
"Can you feel that?!"
"Oh my God. She's really there! Hey baby, it's daddy, we are going to get to see you in a few months! How great will that be! I love you so much my sweetheart."
"I think she can hear you."
"Do you think?".
"Yep. She seems pretty excited."

After a while she calmed down and Shawn looked at me.
"Charlotte?"
"Yes Shawn?"
"I feel so lucky"
"So do I", I replied.
He gave me another kiss and we just put on a movie and stayed with each other all night long.