Like This

{Charlotte's point of view}

I woke up abruptly to the feeling of my baby kicking. I smiled and rubbed my belly, letting her know that her mum was there.

Shawn was still asleep and I didn't want to wake him, so I got out of bed slowly and quietly.

I stood up, just as I heard the front door open.
"Shit shit shit", I say, panicking.

This woke Shawn up as he muttered, "what's going on?"
"Shawn my mum's home!"
"Fuck"
"What the hell am I suppose to do?! She doesn't even know you're here, let alone we're back together. Shit"
"It'll be okay, let me get dressed and we'll go down there together."
"Shawn I don't know what she's gonna say."
"We'll be fine."

"CHARLOTTE I'M BACK", my mum shouted.
"OK, I WILL BE RIGHT DOWN." I replied.

Shawn and I threw on some clothes and we made our way downstairs, hand in hand.

"Charlotte, I know it's early would you like me to make some waffles for break-"
She turned around, not expecting to see Shawn next to me.
"Shawn?-"
"Hello Mrs Johnson". He said nervously.
"Charlotte what's he doing here?"
"Mum... Shawn flew out here from Toronto to try and make things up with me. And well, here we are". I said, holding our hands up.
"I'm just surprised Charlotte."
"I know and so am I m. Mum we really love each other and we're gonna try and be the best parents for our baby. Shawn's gonna get a place round here so he can help bring her up."
"It seems like you have it all sorted then." She said.
"Mrs Johnson, I know you may still feel hostile towards me and I don't blame you. I didn't prioritise Charlotte and the baby and that is one of the biggest regrets I have. But I'm really going to try. So please give me another chance to make them both happy.", Shawn says holding my hand tighter.
"Oh Shawn... I always knew you were a good guy. Just don't let her down again!", my mum said, smiling.

We all had breakfast and chatted about the baby.

I heard Shawn's mobile ring and he said, "Charlotte it's Andrew I'll be right back". He walked out the room.
"Andrew? As in his manager?", Mum said, patronising me.
"Mum it's fine! He wants to start up his career again and mum I want to support him! I love him and compromises are apart of relationships..."
"I just don't ever want to see you hurt darling"
"And I won't! It's more painful to not be with him! Just trust me, everything will work out."
"Ok,ok!" She said, giving me a hug.

"Oh my god charlotte! I've got the best news!", Shawn said, quickly coming back into the kitchen.
"What?!"
"Ok so I was speaking to Andrew about the song I want to release and he said he could arrange for me to go on capital radio and sing it live on there, before I make a studio version!"
"That's so great Shawn! When is it?" I ask.

"In 3 hours"

----------------------

{Shawn's point of view}

"I don't think I'm ready", I say nervously to Charlotte, who has come with me to capital.
"You'll smash it Shawn."
"I just , it's just that this song was made when I was hurt and I don't want you to be upset or anything like that."
"Shawn, chill! Just remember that I love you lots and I have faith in you!"

And with that I walk into the small studio and prepare myself to sing my new song, bit just to my fans but to Charlotte.

"And coming up right now is hit singer-song writer Shawn Mendes, with his new track "Like This", live from our studio!"

I take a deep breath and I looked over my shoulder at the pianist, who gave me a nod.

"Say it's not supposed to be.
Tell me not to waste my time
This was never up to me
But if it was I wouldn't mind

And I'm trying to ignore you
I try to go on with my day yeah
But I still pick up the phone yeah
And get lost in what you say

I can try to stop it
All I like
Hands down I've lost this fight
Thought I was strong
Enough for you
But I can't just hide the truth
So I guess I'm going down
I guess I'm going down
Like this

And I love it how she's honest
You don't find that nowadays
She's not even drop dead gorgeous
But she kills me anyway

I can try to stop it
All I like
Hands down I've lost this fight
Thought I was strong
Enough for you
But I can't just hide the truth
I guess I'm going down
I guess I'm going down like this

I can try to stop it
All I like
Hands down I've lost this fight
Thought I was strong
Enough for you
But I just can't hide the truth
(2x)

So I guess I'm going down
Like this"

My eyes looked straight across the room, right through the window to Charlotte.

"And that was Shawn Mendes's new song, "Like This", make sure to preorder now on iTunes!"

I went out the studio and I was surprised by a hug from my love.
"That was beautiful Shawn." She said, hugging me tighter.
"So you liked it?"
"Loved it, although there is no fight anymore." She smiled.
"Maybe I'll just have to write another song then", I replied, kissing her softly.