Chapter 9

At the end of the day, Shayne dragged his feet, down the hall, flowing like the rest of the students to his sides. He stopped by a billboard, much like the other day. Shayne scanned the clubs once more, hoping to convince himself to just put his name down for one and be done with this dragging feeling.
Shayne looked over every paper hanging up until the halls were mostly cleared.
Heading away from one of the exits down the hall, Courtney strode out of class, swinging her backpack loosely onto her shoulder.
"Shayne?" Courtney called, seeing him waiting near the wall.
Shayne turned around at the call of his name. He smiled in her direction, watching her walk up to him.
"Hey Court, what's up? " Shayne asked, leaning on the wall.
"Just getting a few things. Are you joining a club?" Courtney noticed the billboard. She considered joining a few as well.
"Maybe...I want to. I keep meaning to, but I can't bring myself to do it-"
"So you want to? Which one have you considered?" Courtney pointed to the many papers.
Shayne took another look.
"Well I think games would be easiest. Nothing too hard or attention-seeking. There's not much people in here either-"
"If you want to join something, I say try it," Courtney exclaimed. Shayne smiled, excitedly. He was finally getting pumped and encouraged and excited to join a club. Usually at this point he'd be walking away. Shayne picked up a pen, and worriedly got ready to sign his name.
Courtney saw his hesitance.
"What about if I join it with you?" Courtney asked. It caught Shayne off guard.
"Really?"
"Yeah, maybe we can get the squad to join as well," Courtney shrugged. She grabbed another pen and signed both hers and Shayne's name.
Shayne Topp
Courtney Miller

Shayne smiled happily at the names. Finally he felt the fulfillment and little bit of comfort in joining a club.
"Thanks Court, I owe you one," Shayne asserted. Courtney smiled at him. "The next meeting..." Shayne paused to look back at the paper. "On Wednesday."
"No problem, I'll be there with you. By the way, do you happen to know where Anthony or maybe Ian is?"