Chapter 19: Who's there?

We stared in horror at the news report. We watched the whole segment explaining that there were mysterious kids shapeshifting in the city and were posing a threat to humanity. Yes, I saw that my friends were looking for me at the animal shelter and were caught on tape. Great, we were all in danger now.
     "Who are they?!" exclaimed Angel. "They're just like you!"
     I sighed. "Long story. I kinda sorta maybe know them?"
     "WHAAAAAT?!?!" yelled Angel, "That's crazy!!! Why didn't you tell me?!"
     "I didn't wanna risk anything just yet with them. You see, I'm the leader of our group. I didn't chose to be the leader, but they wanted me. And it's my number one priority to make sure they are protected and kept a secret from anyone. It's a pact we made..."
"So you're saying you didn't trust me?" she asked a bit sadly. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I came up with a clever response.
"No, it's not that. I trust you. I'm just staying loyal to my friends. They would be heartbroken to know that I broke the pact. I'm the last person they expect to break it, and I'm determined to keep it that way. It's what kept us together all these years. I'm sorry..."
"I totally get it!" Now she sounded happy. "I can see why you kept it a secret. If I was you, I would keep loyal to a promise, no matter what. I see loyalty in you. By the way, anything else you wanna tell me?"
"I've pretty much coughed up everything I know."
     "Ok, now that we have that settled," she said, "We have to figure out how to save you and your friends."
     "Well, I don't see a way of doing what we had planned before. Waiting for tension to settle isn't gonna happen for a looooong time."
     "Good point," she replied. "But there's gotta be some way to get all of you out of here."
"Couldn't I just be a bird and fly out of the city?" I said sarcastically.
She looked at me with one of those Are-You-Kidding-Me-You're-So-Dumb looks. "I think the footage pretty much revealed what you look like in all forms, so not a good choice."
There was a pounding at the door. "Let us in!" someone yelled.
"Yeah, open up!" another yelled. "Or else we'll open the door ourselves!" The door muffled their voices a bit. I couldn't tell who it could be.
"News reporters!" she whispered. "I see them looking for you in their minds. Their furious!"
"What do we do?!" I whispered back."
"Hide! I'll act like I'm home alone and that you're not here. I can play an innocent act pretty well." She made a curious look come to her face.
"Wow, that's good," I replied in shock. "Thanks." I ran up to the attic, hoping I would be well hidden there. I picked a pile of boxes to hide behind.
     Now, I wait.