Chapter 15: Danger of Discovery

A flashlight followed the gun. It shone in my face. My wolf senses kicked in, making my eyes immune to the light. What shocked me was when Angel came up from behind the gun and flashlight. That petrified me.
"Explain you're presence here, now!" she yelled at me. I was so shocked. I was screwed, caught as a human when I was supposed to be a wolf. I had no idea how to respond.
"I-"
"Explain!!!"
"Please don't shoot! I promise I'm not a threat!"
"Breaking in, seriously?!" she was losing patience, fast. I had to react fast or I was gonna be killed. I heard the gun click. I froze, wide-eyed and so scared.
"Give me a reason not to shoot an intruder," she sounded really mad, and she had no idea that she knew me, and I knew her. I had to tell the truth, it was either that or my life.
"I'M THE WOLF YOU BROUGHT HERE! I'M SORRY!!!" I changed into my wolf form, head down. She froze. Now she was the scared one. The gun and flashlight dropped. She was staring at me in disbelief. I changed back and looked up. "I'm so sorry...I was so scared around everyone, and this seemed like the only way to stay safe and get back home..."
It was pure silence. At first, I thought she was reading my mind. Turned out, she was comprehending what she just witnessed. "Please, please don't hurt me. I swear I'm innocent. I just want to go home so nobody has to fear me." I decided mentioning my friends would make it worse. I started to walk towards the trapdoor to leave.
"Stop." I turned around and looked curiously. I expected she was furious at my lies about me. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have threatened you with a gun. I thought any secrets about you would be in your mind. And not knowing this, I just thought seeing a girl here who I didn't know could be a threat. I understand why you would do this and hide it from me..."
     I cut her off. Seriously, I was getting emotional, which is hard for me. "I'm sorry. I really am. When I heard you were a mind reader, I was scared I would be caught, and I know what happens when I'm caught. I've had past experience. Well, more like recent experience. I just escaped from animal control, and that's why I'm here. Still, there's more to it. I can change into a hawk or dolphin. That's all there is to me, I guess." I decided not to mention my friends just yet. Can't just trust someone 100% when they just found out your most deadly secret of all time.
     "That's so cool!" she sounded so excited. "I wish I could do that! Mind reading isn't anything compared to shapeshifting!" Even though the mood seemed light, the gun was still at her feet. I started getting nervous. I guess, once again, she read my mind, took the gun, which I flinched at, and she put it away in a corner of the attic. "That better?" she asked.
     "Phew, so much better." That is another big fear of mine, guns. One shot can kill you. How do I know this? I saw it happen before. It was horrible. I was about to be next. That's another story. I'm still dealing with a mind reader here who knows my biggest secret. "Well, I guess I should go now." I was thinking she wouldn't want me there, especially if I was hunted, and putting her in danger, too.
     "Please stay," she bursted. "Please! I know this can work. We will let the tension calm down, then you can go home! I don't care about the danger. They wouldn't check an innocent person's house. How's that?"
     I smiled brightly. This girl just made my day. She read my mind (duh), and we hugged. I had a feeling this was going to be the best time I would ever have in the city.