Chapter 11: Home, Sweet Home?

'THIS IS THE BIGGEST HOUSE EVER!' was my first thought when walking in. It was so big and luxurious! I couldn't believe me, as a wolf, was allowed in that house! I guess miracles do exist. Are me and my friends considered miracles, since we're special in a weird way? Or are we a cursed bunch, hiding from the world that we could destroy if we wanted to? It's a common question I think about, but right now I was thinking about this house - no, mansion. It's huge! Yes, I did say that already, I'll move on.
When I walked in, I wanted to run around and explore the whole place. There's always that one part of a house that's hidden but amazing. I wanted to find it. I decided to wait. I was the "guest," I guess you could say, so I had to respect the girl's rules.
She stared at me blankly, wondering what I was looking at. "You okay?" she asked. "It's just a house."
     'Just a house?!' I thought. 'It's so much more to me! I've lived in the woods for a while now, and now I'm back in a house! It's amazing!'
"You can do whatever you like," she said, "Feel free to explore!" I gasped at that response. 'Whatever I want?!' So many possibilities opened up right then. I didn't want to be rude, but I was so excited to do anything I could think of. Seriously, she let me roam free while she stared at a big screen.
I was sniffing every single corner of that house. I ran around, I dug through boxes, I even checked for a secret passage! I saw the living room, kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms, dining room, and some random rooms. The most interesting (besides the food filled kitchen) was the weird trapdoor I found on the third floor. It went up, not down. I had to check it out. I changed into a human, but couldn't reach it. I changed into a hawk and pulled the string down. I was trampled by the flight of stairs that came down from it. It hurt me. I hit my head on the stairs and the floor. My wing was smashed, and I was trapped. I changed into a wolf and flung everything off of me. I felt pain in my front leg again.
"Are you ok?" asked Angel. "I heard a loud bang and a screech. Was that you?"
'A screech?' I thought. 'Did I screech when I was hit? Oh God, this could be bad...'
"Maybe it was just me," she said, "I can read minds, and sometimes I hear things in my head that I mix up with real life noises."
Oh God, no wonder she knew how I felt! I was at this girl's house who was a mind reader! I'm screwed!!!