Late For Work [ Jungkook BTS ]

Chorong gulped slightly as she fingered the hem of her pencil skirt, fixing her crisp iron shirt and giving her hair a triple check before determining that she was fit to see the outside world and slid into her new black heels, ready for her first day of work. She could feel people giving her second glances as she stepped onto the bus, before locating a seat in the near end and sat down before plugging in her earphones to try and ignore the stares, only to be unsuccessful.

She sighed, and rested her head against an elbow propped on the window, nails manicured to perfection by the friendly young lady at the nail shop. This was going to be a long bus ride.

Travelling from home to the office took approximately thirty minutes during the rush hour, which she mentally jolted down as she stepped down the bus and immediately sunk her one million won heels, which was a present from her parents, in a puddle of muddy water. Not a good start. Checking her watch and finding that she still had twenty minutes to kill before work starts, she strolled to the nearest Starbucks and ordered a mocha with a chocolate muffin.

As she walked through the automatic doors of her new office with trembling knees, Chorong could feel nervousness bubbling from her stomach to her throat, and she had to fight down the feeling of not throwing up on the priscine and sparkling glass floors. Nearing the receptionist desk, she swiped her employee card on the machine and entered the security gates before the young girl at the reception greeted her with a cheerful smile. "Good morning, Ms...Park. I'm the receptionist, Jung Eunji." Chorong managed a smile for the girl as she studied the other. Probably in her early-twenties, same as her? "You're new here, right? I've never seen you before." She nodded. "Well, I would put in an appointment for lunch today, if you don't mind, and as an extra, here's a tip for you," The receptionist leaned in with a mysterious air and whispered into her ear, "Don't annoy or anger the boss."

"Why?" The question slipped through her lips, and she immediately regretted it as Eunji grimaced slightly, looking from left to right before whispering again, "He's not the best boss out there, so be careful, especially when you're in his department."

Am I? Chorong was surprised, and before she could ask, was ushered away by Eunji, who greeted the next employee, a man in his mid-thirties with a cheery smile again, and the other bowed to her sunbae before going to the lift.

Just as she was pondering what floor she was on, the middle aged man at Eunji's table earlier looked at her kindly and asked, "New here?" Chorong nodded. "Just touch your employee ID against this sensor here, and the button would light up immediately. It's so convenient, sometimes I forget what floor I work at," He chuckled before doing the said action, and Chorong smiled and followed him.

When she finally arrived at her floor, the employees sitting in their cubicles ceased their chatting and all looked towards the direction of the elavator, and a sigh of relief seemed to ran through the whole floor before they resumed their conversations. She glanced at the card hanging from her neck and quickly found the assigned number before slidding into her seat just as a man popped his head over the cubicle wall.

"Morning, you're Park Chorong, right? I'm Park Jimin, nice to meet you." His eyes turned into litttle crescents as he grinned, one arm with the sleeve rolled up appearing to shake hands with her. "You'll be working here for a few days or so, then Boss-nim would bring you into his office for a private interview for the post of his secretary." Jimin then said in a hushed voice, "If I were you, I would try everything to fail it, because the Boss just isn't the kind of man to treat you well. So be careful."

The room suddenly became eerily silent and the sounds of people shuffling back to their chairs filled the room as the elavator doors slid open with a small ping. Chorong watched as the man's expression changed from cheerful and friendly to slightly horrified and sombre before switching back to the previous emotions. "What's up, boss?" He gave a casual wave at the man who just emerged from the elevator.