Chapter 30 This Is Home

Chapter XXX
This Is Home

Wherever you are
That's where I wanna be
All it took was a ring in that soft sunset
Baby blue eyes welled up and said
This is home
In the refrigerator light
Never look so good
Holding you tight
Kissing all I could saying
I am home
And that's where I want to be
Yeah wherever you're with me

"Are you almost ready?" Derek called up as he was sitting on the couch, a fully dressed Alison sitting on his lap. They had learned to sit up by themselves finally. Alison was dressed in a baby blue onesie with a purple flower on the chest and black leggings. Derek had on his lucky red shirt and jeans. He and Meredith were having a date night so they were taking the girls to Susan and Thatcher's for the night.

"Almost," she called as she was upstairs. She finally came down with a casual sweater and jeans. Evie was dressed in a pink onesie with a grey elephant on the chest and black leggings also, she and Ali may have been identical twins but there were differences that could definitely be told between the two especially with their personalities and favorites.

"You look gorgeous," he smiled as he stood up and held Ali on his hip.

"Thanks, let's get going," Meredith said as she grabbed the diaper bag for the girls and headed out the door first. They put each of them in their car seats and then he came over and opened the door for her to get in the car.

"Being a gentleman tonight?" She raised her brow.

"I'm always a gentleman," he laughed.

"Oh of course," she giggled in return.

"Just get in," he smacked her butt softly and she scoffed.

"Bossy, tonight you get lots and lots of sex," she whispered the last line and he raised his brow. She smirked as she got into the car, he closed the door and hurried to her side. They drove over to Susan and Thatcher's, Derek got out and started to get out all the things they would need tonight including their play pen and two bouncer's and a huge diaper bag full of the small necessities and Meredith's many bags of milk.

"I'll come help get them," Susan said from the front door as she hurried out to the car. She took Alison's car seat while Meredith got Evie's and they went inside.

"Hey Thatcher, you need me to set up the play pen or can you?" Derek asked as he sat down the many baby items in the living room.

"I'll get it, I think I can manage," he joked.

"You know their schedule, right?" Meredith asked Susan.

"Yes, they eat at 6 then again at 10 then you put them to bed and they will wake up when they are hungry," Susan assured her.

"Yes, and I brought a ton of diapers and three outfits each because little miss Evie likes to make a mess when she eats so make sure she wears a bib," Meredith smiled as she ran her finger over Evie's nose and she giggled.

"Alright, we got this. You crazy kids go have fun," Susan smiled as she started to push them out the door.

"Thanks again!" Meredith said as she was walking out the door.

"Love you two, be safe!" Susan called from the front door as Meredith and Derek were getting into the car.

"I want to show you something before we go eat," he smiled as he backed the car up and headed for the ferry docks.

"Ok," she questioned him as they winded down back roads to where they landed at the ferry dock. He pulled on to the boat and parked the car in the lower deck.

"Come on," he smiled as he took her hand and lead her to the top deck.

"Your thing for ferryboat's, huh?" She smiled as she held on to his hand.

"Mhm, the view is so gorgeous this time of day," he said as he was looking out at the city.

"It is," she nodded in agreement, laying her head against his shoulder.

"I love you," he said as he kissed the side of her head.

"I love you too," she wrapped her arm around his and stood leaned against him. They just watched as the boat slowly made it to the familiar island they knew.

"We are going to see your land?" She questioned as she looked up at him.

"Maybe, but it won't be the trailer we are seeing," he winked at her as they went back down to the car. They drove through the wooded area to find the familiar driveway. The continued the dirt path, passing the trailer that held many memories for them.

"Remember the first time I came to stay the night with you?" She laughed at the memory.

"How could I forget? You seemed surprised when you woke up and went outside to find that bear," he chuckled and she hit his arm.

"It's not funny! Bears are scary," she pouted.

"You're right, bears are very very scary," he snickered only a little as he rested his hand on her knee. They kept driving until the land cleared out into an open field where there was a cliff hanging that could see out to the bay.

"Derek, it's so pretty," Meredith smiled as she looked out at the view. Derek got out and came to open her door, helping her step out into the damp ground. The sun was beginning to set over the hills and it was just the perfect view.

"I was thinking this would be our view every morning we woke up from the house," he said as he grabbed on to her hand and walked around the property in all the places he planned on putting all the rooms. They had only just really started talking about the house recently, knowing it would be soon that he would get everything he had ever wanted. He took her back to the edge of the cliff and grabbed both of her hands.

"Derek, this is amazing," she smiled as she leaned up and kissed him, a slow and steady kiss.

"Meredith, there is something I have been wanted to ask you - well tell you. We have two beautiful little girls and I know we are going to spend forever in each other's lives but I want to make it official. I want to be able to call you my wife. You are the love of my life and I couldn't imagine my life without you and our girls. Meredith Elizabeth Grey, I want to spend the rest of my life with you and I guess you can say this is a proposal, but I would like to think of it as a promise," he said as he pulled out the ring, his mother's ring.

She gasp as tears streamed down her face, never would she have imagined this ever happening. She was never one to dream of the big proposal and the fancy big church wedding but standing in front of Derek, that's all she wanted. She wanted a life with him, to wake up every morning with his gross morning breath and occasional five o'clock shadow.

"I want to spend the rest of my life with you, so I guess this is me accepting your promise and promising the same thing," she giggled as she let him slide the ring on her finger. She jumped into his arms and let out a loud giggle as he lifted her higher into the air and spun her around.

"I love you Meredith," he said in a whisper as he put her down gently, resting his forehead against hers.

"I love you Derek," she smiled and a giggle escaped her lips as she pressed them against his. Their forever was about to begin.