Part 4 I swear I lived

Hope when you take that jump
You don't fear the fall
Hope when the water rises
You build a wall
Hope when the crowd sings out
Their screaming your name
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay

Derek woke up, his body aches from the way he slept with Meredith on his chest.

Meredith.

He realized that she wasn't on him anymore, a light shined from the downstairs bathroom. He got up and approached the doorway to the bathroom, Meredith was slumped over the toilet and she looked weak and fragile.

"Are you ok?" Derek asked cautiously.

"Do I look ok?" She snapped, glaring at him.

"Can I do something for you?" He wanted to do something to help her but she wasn't happy at all.

"Get me a towel from the linen closet," she instructed and he quickly went and grabbed one and returning. He helped her up, holding her steady as she wiped her mouth against the towel.

He didn't know if she really meant what she said last night, he wanted to talk to her but he couldn't find the courage. He knew he had to be here and that was it.

"We have to talk," she breathed. Her whole body felt weak, her head was spinning and she felt nauseous but when it comes down to it, she is pregnant and it's normal.

"Yeah we do," he nodded. He helped her steady herself on her feet and followed her as she went into the living room. They sat on opposite sides of the couch, silence filled the room for what seemed like forever. Her head twisting and turning, she knew her answer and what she wanted but she couldn't handle it right now.

"I choose you, I want to be with you forever and that scares the hell out of me because of the mother issues and the trust issues and the hormones, it was like I knew all along but I couldn't because you're Derek and there's Finn. He's the right choice Derek but I'm in love with you," she rambled on, Derek sat and listened until she was finished.

"So you want me?" He said hopeful she was really meaning it.

"I do but we can't move fast, ok? Because when we move fast it just ruins everything. So I know there's so much you want to do for me and the baby but let's just calm down. Because I can't handle it right now. Baby steps."

"Ok. So small steps. Will I be able to go to your first appointment with you?" He asked cautiously. That was his biggest concern. He wanted to be there for that baby, and that is what he is going to do.

"Of course. I mean like you moving in and stuff, I'm not ready for that. No sex either."

"No sex?" He stuttered.

"Not yet. Slow remember?"

"Right. Slow."

"I want flowers and candy and the whole deal. We are dating."

"Ok."

"And when the time comes, we will talk about a future but right now we are just two people dating."

"I agree, since it does make sense. We never went on any real date before, this is good."

"Ok, so I need to talk to Finn. In Person."

"Ok, I'll go and you can go out or whatever with him and I'll come check on you tonight," he stood up, not giving her enough time to decline it before he was gone.

Meredith grabbed her phone, calling Finn. She asked him to come over so they can talk and he agreed. She hated having to break his heart because he was a nice guy but he wasn't the one. He was never the one.

She went and answered her door when he arrived, he had his small cheeky smile on his face. She hated this now more than ever.

"Hey Meredith. How are you feeling?" He asked trying to make light conversation.

"Finn, I'm good. Thanks, come in," she gulped as she stepped aside to let him in.

"Ok so I know we had so much fun but I just have to cut to the chase. Finn, I pick Derek," she held back her tears as the hurt came across his eyes.

"Meredith, he's going to hurt you again and I'm not going to be here to fall back on," He tried to change her mind but in the short time he knew her, she wasn't an easy person to change.

"Finn please, he's the father of my child. Yes he has hurt me before but that was then and this is now. He's a good guy," she put her defenses up, he was the love of her life and she wasn't going to let anyone talk bad about him.

"Just please, give it a little more time," he begged.

"Finn, I'm sorry. He's the one, I can't tell you any different. Even if I waited, it only be hurting you worse so just please understand," she begged, she thought this was going to be easy.

"Ok, goodbye Meredith," he sounded angry as he rushed out of the house. She felt terrible but she couldn't help her feelings. She went and sat on the couch, she was ready for Derek to come back over.

...
Meredith was awoken by the sound of a knock on her front door. She looked at the clock which said it was a little past 6pm. She sat up and went to the door, opening it to find Derek with a paper bag in his arms.

"I've come back with good stuff," he had the smile on his face, the smile that made her smile also.

"Come on, I'm starving," she smiled, her body ached from sleeping on the couch as she let him in. He went to the coffee table, dropping the bag of food from the local Italian restaurant.

"How was the talk with Finn?" He asked and she shook her head.

"I don't wanna talk about it, I want to eat."

"Ok," he nodded, he ordered her favorite lasagna and his usual.

"So does this constitute as a date?" He raised his eyebrows as he handed her the food.

"Nope," she giggled, something she hadn't done in a while. He smiled at her cute giggle, continuing to pull out some of the plastic forks and napkins along with his food.

"Well that's not fair. I brought your favorite food, this should count as something," he sounded offended.

"Ok fine. It can be a date but I want flowers next time."

"Good. I also brought movies."

"Ohh what movies?" She smiled cheekily, grabbing the two DVD's from his hands.

"The Breakfast Club and Breakfast at Tiffany's," he smiled, two classics.

"Of course, um let's watch The Breakfast Club first," she smiled as she took the first bite of her food. He chuckled at the small moan that came from her mouth.

"Good?"

"Amazing."

"Well good. I'm glad," he smiled, he could just watch her movements all night long,the cuteness all in one person. She was such an amazing woman, he is still clueless to how he got so lucky with such an amazing woman.