Part 13 Shake it out

Chapter VIII
Shake it out

Regrets collect like old friends
Here to relive your darkest moments
I can see no way, I can see no way
And all of the ghouls come out to play
And every demon wants his pound of flesh
But I like to keep some things to myself
I like to keep my issues drawn
It's always darkest before the dawn

"Meredith, you're on Dr Montgomery's service today," Bailey informed her and Meredith wanted to scream. She hadn't worked with Addison except once since she found out about her being pregnant. Addison didn't seem upset, she was actually easier to deal with now that she and Derek weren't constantly fighting.

"Thanks," Meredith replied dryly, walking slowly to the elevator. Her feet were already killing her and she had just started her shift. She had no idea how she was going to make it through the rest of day much less the rest her pregnancy with the swollen feet and the sore back.

She found Addison staring at a chart, her red hair hanging down in her face as she looked very concerned.

"Did you need me Dr Montgomery?" Meredith spoke up and Addison turned to look at her.

"Uh yes, I need you. I'm about to do a c-section on a mom who is 36 weeks and she's been contracting for two weeks and I stopped them for a little but the baby needs out now," Addison have her a small rundown on the case before handing the chart over to her to prep the patient for surgery.

"Molly Grey?" Meredith asked as she entered the room. The woman laying on the bed sat up and looked, her face showed how exhausted she was and Meredith suddenly felt scared herself.

"That's me, and this is my mom Susan," Molly said with a slight smile on her face. Susan was standing beside Molly was staring down Meredith as she entered the room.

"I'm Dr Grey, I am here to prep you for your c -section," Meredith smiled. She checked her vitals first.

"When am I going to get to see her?" Molly questioned Meredith to keep the silence from filling the room.

"Hard to say, as long as everything is fine then you can see her as soon as she comes out," Meredith smiled at the two women before continuing what she was doing.

"How far along are you?" Susan asked and Meredith looked up then back at her stomach.

"Uh 20 weeks. Not many people can tell," Meredith smiled, she felt a slight joy in knowing people could see her stomach now.

"I always know. Do you know the sex yet?" She asked and Meredith smiled.

"Two girls."

"Oh twins! That's nice. You're husband must be terrified," Susan smiled and Meredith shook her head.

"Not married but my boyfriend is extremely excited surprisingly," she shrugged as she finished prepping Molly.

"I'm going to find Dr Montgomery so we can get this show on the road," Meredith smiled as she left the room. She felt tension inside that room and she wasn't sure why. It wasn't hard to find Addison and soon she was scrubbing into the OR. Susan stood beside Molly and it wasn't long until the baby was out but it was silent.

"Dr Grey, can you give me a hand?" Addison asked as she hurried the baby over to the incubator. She began doing chest compressions to try and get her to breathe.

"What's going on?" Susan asked worried as she stood up and walked toward them.

"The baby isn't breathing, we are going to do everything to fix it," Addison spoke up. Meredith froze, her stomach doing flips and the moving that was happening inside was not helping her at all.

"Is she going to be alright?" Molly cried and Meredith looked from the baby to Susan. The look on her face made Meredith cringe.

"We need to run some test," Meredith explained everything and Addison was quick to intubate the baby and move her out of the room.

"I'll update you as soon as I can," Meredith said as she ran out of the room to follow Addison.

"Grey, go update her chart and I'll come find you before anything else happens," Addison said, leaving a confused Meredith in the hallway. She slowly made her way back to the nurses station and grabbed Molly's chart.

Meredith stood against the nurse station, quietly trying to think about what had happened. She wrote all of her own notes down and her hand was unintentionally rubbing circles on her abdomen. She looked up when she heard an older man looking for Molly. Her heart jumped into her chest, the older man standing there was recognizable but it couldn't be who she thought it was. There was no way that he could be there and it suddenly clicked in her mind. Her flight instinct kicked in moments to late because he saw her and the look on his face was pure shock.

"Meredith?" He let out in one breath. She could see the guilty expression on his face as he moved closer to her and she was frozen in time.

"Thatcher."