Part 5 Make you feel my love

Chapter V
Make you feel my love

When the rain is blowing in your face
And the whole world is on your case
I could offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love
When the evening shadows
And the stars appear
And there is no one that will dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

Meredith wasn't ready at all for her first appointment. So many possibilities, she knew she was going to hear the baby's heartbeat if there still was one. What if she for some reason lost the baby? Or if she had a baby with a weak heartbeat or some other disability?

She walked through the front door of the hospital, Derek was sitting on the bench with a coffee in his hand. She knew he was waiting on her, he was the most excited of the two for the appointment. She knew he wanted a family but she never dreamed of the whole big family deal when she was a child.

"Hey Derek," Meredith stopped at the bench. He looked up at her and smiled widely.

"Morning Mer, so I didn't know if you could have coffee or not but I got you one," he stood up and held out the coffee cup.

"No, I can have it but the smell of coffee makes me vomit," she cringed at the thought of something she loved so much. He nodded, throwing the coffee away promptly.

"Ok, so I was thinking after the appointment we can call my mom. She knows I'm hiding something but I want your permission before I tell her," he asked, hoping she'd be ok with it.

"Yeah of course, it's your mother. Let's go," she led the way up to the OBGYN and they were led straight to an exam room. It seemed like forever, they stared at the posters and plastic models of the developing babies all over the room. It was an uncomfortable silence between them, a knock on the door relieved her.

"Hi, I'm Lucy Collins. I'll be your doctor," she smiled as she shook hands with Meredith and Derek.

"Are you the new doctor?" Derek asked, knowing he never seen her at any of the meetings.

"Just started a few weeks ago, and I'm guessing you are a doctor here?" She knew he looked familiar, and she did also.

"Yes, I'm an intern," Meredith nodded.

"I'm Derek Shepherd, chief of neurosurgery," he smiled charmingly.

"Ah alright so let's get started," she smiled. She began to ask questions and do a physical exam of Meredith.

"Ok, everything seems fine. I want to do another round of blood work and I'll send an ultrasound technician in here," Lucy left the room, letting Meredith change into a hospital gown, leaving her pants on underneath.

A tech came in a few minutes later, sitting down on the stool and asking her a couple questions also before he started the ultrasound.

They sat there in the dark, the monitor showed the fuzz and fluids while the ultrasound tech was looking for the embryo's. He suddenly stopped and a small peanut like feature flashed across, a smile grew on Derek's face. Meredith sat quietly as he continued to look. The tech suddenly stopped, he turned the screen and continued to move the transducer all over her lower abdomen.

"Looks healthy, both babies are doing fine," he said and turned the monitor.

"What!?" Meredith's mouth dropped. Derek's smile faded a little bit.

"Twins?" Derek had a smile still strung across his face.

"Two healthy babies, both are measuring 8 weeks and two days," he said. He turned on the sound and flashed across both babies heartbeats, letting them hear each of them for a little bit of time.

"They are both in the same placenta, does that mean identical right?" Derek made sure to ask, he hadn't read an ultrasound since he was a resident.

"Yes it does. Baby A is on the right and heart beat is strong at 155bpm and Baby B is just behind at 152bpm," he continued to do his measurements. Meredith was still in shock. She wasn't ready for one baby, much less two. Derek seemed happy, of course he was happy. He loves kids, this is good for him.

They got finished, got pictures of the ultrasound, she got dressed and they left and walked toward the lobby. Not a word was spoken but Derek was almost jumping out of his skin with joy. Meredith tried to be happy, she was glad he was happy but her doubts still clouded her mind. Her doctor said she was high risk, she didn't wanna take any chances.

"Can you drive me home then we can call your family," she said as they stepped off the elevator. She put on a smile, pretending not to be freaking out inside. She did love these babies but she couldn't.

"Yeah, I'm so happy that I'm doing this with you," he kept his smile on his face, she practically leaned on him all the way to his car. They both got in, Derek drove back to her house with one hand steady on her undeveloped belly.

They pulled up to her house, both of them getting out. They went inside and into the kitchen.

"I'll call mom. Do you want me to make you something for lunch?" He asked as he took his jacket off.

"No thanks," she offered a smile before she sat down on the stool.

"Did you eat breakfast?"

She was silent, and he shook his head slightly.

"I'll cook you something that will be easy on your stomach," he said as he pulled out his phone. He dialed his mother's number and put her on speaker phone.

Meredith gulped, she hadn't even met his mom before. She was having his baby and hadn't even met his mom.

"Hi ma."

"Derek Shepherd! I haven't heard from you in a week! I was ready to jump on a plane and come see if you were alright." His mother scolded him. Carolyn Shepherd was not one to worry about her kids but since that night he called her crying over Meredith and Addison, she had been constantly worrying about him.

"I'm sorry ma, just some things came up but I have good news."

"This news better be good! I haven't heard from my only son in days."

"Ma, remember how I talked to you about Meredith?"

"Oh this Meredith, the same one you fell in love with but you stayed with Addison for whatever reason?"

"Yes Ma. Well we are together now and we found out she is pregnant," he said. There was a long pause before Carolyn spoke up.

"Why haven't I heard about this before? Have you told your sisters?" She began to question him, she wasn't sure how she felt yet. She hadn't ever met Meredith but she was now suddenly pregnant by her son.

"I haven't told anyone, and we just went and got an ultrasound today. The babies are perfectly healthy," he said with an emphasis on babies.

"Babies!? As in more than one!" She suddenly got excited.

"Yes Ma, two babies. Perfectly healthy little peanuts. She's 8 weeks."

"That's wonderful dear. I want to come out there and meet you two. Or better yet you two can fly here and she can meet everyone. Oh it would be so wonderful to finally meet the woman I've heard so much about."

Meredith froze, she didn't do mother's. She couldn't even handle her own mother half the time, she especially didn't do family's. She hoped Derek would disagree. Maybe he could come to his senses and just leave this all under the water.

"I don't know ma, we will talk about it later." Derek noticed how Meredith reacted. He got off the phone with his mother relatively quick.

"What's the matter?" Derek asked when he noticed the look on Meredith's face.

"Nothing, it's nothing. So about that food?" She tried to change the subject. She couldn't tell him her irrational fear of mother's and family's.

"Right, I'll get right on that," he nodded, kissing her forehead before he started searching through her pantry.