Chapter 20 dancing away with my heart

Chapter XX
Dancing away with my heart

I finally asked you to dance
On the last slow song
And beneath that moon
That was a disco ball
I can still feel my
Head on your shoulder
And hoping that song
Would never be over

Meredith looked at herself in the mirror, the chocolate dress was a tight fit across her huge bump. She groaned as she tried her best to slip the sandals on her feet, she couldn't bend over weeks ago but she learned to put her shoes on but now she couldn't even bring her leg up enough in order to help them slide on.

"Cristina, would you please help," Meredith groaned. Cristina was currently having her hair curled and put up by Izzie.

"No, I don't touch feet. Get Callie, she likes feet," she smirked at Callie who was trying to put her own dress own.

"I do not do feet," Callie shook her head.

"None of you are of any help," Meredith glared.

"Put your foot up here," Izzie instructed as she put the curling iron down.

"If I could reach my foot that high, I'd put them on myself," Meredith rolled her eyes. Izzie shook her head as she bent down and buckled the sandals around each of her swollen ankles.

"Thank you," Meredith huffed, "now I'm going to go check on the boys."

Meredith slipped out of the dressing room of the church and hunted down all the groomsmen along with the groom. She found them in a room all the way across the church and she was taken aback by the way Derek looked in the suit. His hair was styled differently and he was living up to the McDreamy nickname.

"There's my beautiful girlfriend," he smiled as he came over and kissed her cheek.

"You're only saying that because I'm having your babies," she rolled her eyes, "how's everything in here going?"

"Good, ready when you all are," Preston said with a huge smile across his face.

"Are you two playing nice?" She pointed at Mark and Derek.

"Yes, we can be civil," Derek nodded.

"We could even be friends, want to get a drink later?" Mark asked charmingly.

"Not a chance Mark, not there yet," Derek shook his head.

"Yet, there was a yet. C'mon I miss my best friend," Mark said sadly.

"You slept with my wife," he glared.

"Alright, let's not bring up the past. Derek," Meredith said as she raised her brow at him. He sighed, pulling her against his side and kissing the side of her head.

"I'm sorry," he whispered in her ear.

"To Mark?" She replied bluntly. He rolled his eyes and started to argue but he stopped when he saw the look in her eyes. He turned to Mark, apologizing to him about his behavior.

"I'm going back to the ladies, I'll send word when we are ready," she replied and swiftly went back to the girls. Izzie had finished her hair and make-up, replacing the eyebrows that Burke's mother had shaven off. The only thing she had left was to put on the dress which Meredith helped her into.

"You look stunning Cristina," Callie commented with a smile.

"Thanks, I feel weird," she replied with a shrug.

"After today, you won't ever have to do this again," Meredith smiled.

"True. Let's get this over with, I'm ready to be drunk," Cristina grumbled. Callie left to go tell the boys to line up in the back of the church. Cristina and Meredith walked together to meet with the groomsmen, Burke was standing at the front of the church. Cristina's step father was the one who was walking her down the isle so she stood next to him away from the view of the church doors.

"Ready when you are," Cristina said and the music started to play. The first people to walk out was Izzie with Mark. Next was Callie and George.

"You can do this Cristina, I believe in you," Meredith smiled as she hugged her person before grabbing on to Derek's arm as he escorted her down the isle. The church doors closed and the new music began and everyone in the church stood to watch Cristina come down the isle. Everyone except Derek had their eyes on Cristina, Derek's eyes were focused on Meredith who looked beautiful with her hair curled and left down. The brown dress complimented her eyes and he was just boggled by how well she looked for being thirty weeks pregnant.

Cristina made it down the isle and the ceremony began, it was over fairly quickly since they had wrote their own vows. Cristina said words no one knew she was capable of saying and had almost everyone in tears. Burke's vows to Cristina were just as heart warming and they were pronounced husband and wife. Meredith was happy for her best friend, she admired the way she could be so loving but hardcore. She wanted to be like that, she knew she had it in her, she just had to find it.

"How are you feeling?" Derek asked as they had made it outside the church. Everyone was meeting at one of the restaurant's in town for the reception.

"I'm good, we can go to the reception," Meredith smiled. She wasn't sure if her body could handle the standing and walking but she was feeling fine except her ankles were swollen which she had gotten use to.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"Yes Derek. They are fine and I am fine," she said with annoyance.

"Alright I just wanted to make sure," he said defensively.

"I'm sorry. But please believe me when I say I am perfectly fine," she smiled as she got into the car as they headed to the reception. They arrived as everyone else was, Meredith met up with Izzie and Alex who were standing awkwardly next to one another.

"Tomorrow, we are no longer interns and officially residents," Alex said with a smile.

"Except George," he added.

"That's not nice Alex, he can retake the exam in a few months and he will pass for sure," Izzie defended him. Every since the intern exam, Izzie and George barely spoke to one another which was very odd to everyone.

"You two play nice please, this is Cristina's day," Meredith grumbled. She was tired of the fighting going on between Alex and Izzie and George.

"It's true, O'Malley is the one who failed," Alex pointed out before he walked away to avoid any more yelling from Meredith.

"I hate him so much," Izzie rolled her eyes as she grabbed her glass of champagne and gulped it down.

"I'm going to find Derek," Meredith nodded to her and went to find Derek who was talking to a few other people from the hospital.

"Are you feeling alright?" He asked. The people he was talking to left and it was just the two of them.

"Yeah, I'm just tired of all the fighting between Izzie and Alex and George. I don't see why it matters of George failed, he can take the test in six months and be moved up," Meredith ranted.

"Everything is gonna work out," He smiled at her sincerely before pulling her into an awkward hug. Her belly had officially gotten in the way of their embrace. The DJ interrupted them and everyone as they gathered everyone around for Cristina and Preston's first dance. After a minute people started to join them on the dance floor.

"Are you gonna dance with me?" Meredith asked nicely.

"Sure but I'm only swaying slightly," he joked as he took her hand and led her to the dance floor.

"Don't step on my feet," she said seriously.

"I'll try not to," he winked and she just giggled as she put her arms around him and swayed to the music. She laid her head against his shoulder, he wrapped his arms tighter around her and turned slightly to kiss the side of her head. She had never been happier in her life than she was in that moment when everything just seemed right.