Part 12 What hurts the most

Chapter XII
What Hurts the Most

Even though goin' on with you gone still upsets me
There are days every now and again I pretend I'm okay
But that's not what gets me
What hurts the most was being so close
And havin' so much to say

Meredith awoke to the aroma of pancakes in her room, she knew Izzie most likely wasn't cooking and her body was still nestled against Derek's so it couldn't be him. She suddenly remembered Carolyn was there and let out a deep groan. She snuggled deeper into his arms, she wasn't prepared to see his mother. It wasn't long before she felt Derek's breathing become faster. She felt his breath on her neck as he placed a kiss between her ear and collar bone.

"Mm, morning," he said in her ear.

"Morning. Your mother is cooking I think," she whispered back and he sighed a little.

"I know. I smell it. I hope you don't mind," he asked and she shook her head.

"Today is my last day off, I secretly wanna spend it here with you," she turned in his arms, taking his face into her hand.

"I know. I wish we could but I have to be in for a consult at 9," he sighed, placing a small kiss on her lips.

"I know," she pouted.

"You can spend the day getting to know my mother," he said and she groaned, burying her face into his chest.

"I'm not mother material, mothers don't like me," she mumbled and he chuckled.

"My mother is going to love you because I love you," he couldn't stop laughing. He knew his mother had to like Meredith, she was amazing and his mother always could tell how a person was when she met them.

"She doesn't have to."

"She will," he promised. He kissed the top of her head before getting up and searching for some of his pants.

"I'm going to shower and I'll be down after you," she said, still laying in the bed.

"Alright," he smiled at her tiny body surrounded by the blankets. He threw on some of his dress pants and a blue button up before going down. He saw the feast his mother had fixed and shook his head. Her famous waffles were just coming out of the waffle iron and some fresh bacon and eggs were sitting on plates.

"Morning Ma," he said, going to the pot of coffee and grabbing a travel mug.

"Good morning Derek. I hope Meredith won't mind I fixed breakfast, I just thought she would want some for the babies," Carolyn smiled at her son, shoving him toward the food.

"She won't at all, she loves food. I have to go to work so you two can do your thing or whatever," he shrugged, biting into a waffle. His health nut side of him was scream but he couldn't help but enjoy his mother's home cooking.

"Oh good!" Carolyn smiled, she was truly excited to really get to know her future daughter-in-law. Both Carolyn and Derek looked up as Meredith slowly walked into the room. Her hair still soaking wet from the shower and her face in a frown.

"The crematory called, my mother's ashes are ready," Meredith gulped. She didn't want to feel like that, especially in front of Carolyn but she didn't care.