Part 9 Second Chances

Chapter IX
Second Chances

I watched the world outside
By the way,
I'm leaving out today
I just saw Halley's comet
She waved
Said, "Why you always running in place?"
Even the man in the moon disappeared
Somewhere in the stratosphere
Tell my mother
Tell my father
I've done the best I can
To make them realize
This is my life
I hope they understand

...

Derek stood still as he watched Meredith worried with guilt and panic. He didn't know how he could help her, he could go check on Ellis but at the same time he wanted to be there for Meredith. She paced the halls, she hadn't spoken in the two hours she's been at the hospital.

"Mer," he said worried as she kept her head at the floor.

"Hmm?" She mumbled as she continued to pace.

"Would you like to sit? Do you need anything?" He calmly asked, wanting to help. Even if that meant just being here he would.

"I need my mother to be alive, I know she was never a good mother but at least she tried. I need there to be a cure for Alzheimer's because I don't know if she wakes up and is back to her old self or if she even wakes up at all. I just need her to be alive and to be lucid because I really want her to know about our kids," she said, slightly angered but more scared than anything.

"Mer, she's going to be alright. The best cardio surgeon in the country is working on your mother," he tried to reassure her with the fact that Preston is working on her mother but he knew that wouldn't help.

"I'm just going to continue to be this way so you can just either be here or go find something to do," she snapped, continuing to pace. Derek just nodded before sitting down and watching her. Even in this state, she had one hand on her slightly swollen stomach, no matter how much she claimed that she was going to be a terrible mother, she wasn't. She already loved those babies, he knew it deep down that she was going to be the best mother she could be.

It seemed like hours of her, she was becoming restless between the pacing and then having to rest and pacing again. She just wanted everything to be alright. No matter how bad of a mother Ellis was, Meredith did love her. She sighed with relief when she saw her person walking through the doors with Burke, her stomach began to flutter with a slight bit of hope. They didn't seem upset, that was always a good sign. She stood there, she felt Derek rise and put his arm around her waist to hold her up.

"How is she Preston?" Derek asked, knowing Meredith wanted to ask.

"She's in recovery. She did have a major heart attack and we had to put her on bypass, we have to go in and repair her ventricular wall due to the damage in a few days," he explained the situation.

"Alright, so she's alright?" Meredith finally got a normal breath in as he said that.

"Yes. But we will be keeping her for a while," he nodded and Meredith agreed that was best.

"I also suggest she get a full body CT just to check for more damage," Burke said before leaving.

"Cristina, how did it really go," Meredith asked when Burke left.

"It went really well, better than expected. You should get some rest," Cristina encouraged. Meredith just nodded and she left. Meredith sat back down on the chair and just breathed. She had felt so many emotions at one time, all she knew was that she was glad her mother was alive.

"Mer?" Derek whispered as he sat back down next to her, putting his arm around her shoulder's. It took her a minute before she turned to him, so much hurt and fear in her eyes.