Week 6: Take Me Home

*HARRY'S Point of View*

Victoria and Ariana had been phenomenal throughout everything, encouraging me, helping with phone calls or other ideas on how to contact Harper or her father. Victoria knew that Harper was my choice. Obviously! I knew that Ariana knew, simply by the way Harper's disappearance had affected me, and by the way she was helping me.

But I wanted her to know, from my own mouth, that I never meant to hurt her and I definitely never meant to lead her on. I had, and still have deep feelings, for her. I asked to ride in a car alone with Ariana to Holmes Chapel, while Victoria went with the rest of the crew.

Once we were alone, with the exception of our driver who paid no attention to us, I broached the subject with her. "Ariana, I just wanted you to know that I never thought it would turn out this way."

She looked at me with her sweet face, her eyes wide with concern. She had been so loving and kind since the very beginning.

"I never wanted to hurt you. And I never meant for you to find out this way that I had chosen Harper."

"Oh, Harry, I know," she cooed. "I get it. You know I love you, but I know you love Harper. If you chose me just so you wouldn't hurt my feelings, I would still know that your heart belongs to someone else." I could see that she was getting emotional. I hated that I was the one who made her cry.

"Come here," I said, hugging her strongly. "I really did have feelings for you. I never lied about that. And you're one of my best friends," I told her. "I don't want to lose that."

"You won't, Harry. I'll be here whenever you need me."

"Thanks," I whispered. My chin was starting to tremble with emotion. I didn't deserve to have such awesome friends, but I was overwhelmingly grateful.

I was also thankful last few women hadn't turned catty and vindictive. With the exception of Lucy. I was genuinely shocked with her response when I didn't choose her at the last Candle Ceremony. But I had also been shocked by her behavior on our overnight. She had made it abundantly clear that she did not like the camping trip. What I wanted to be sweet and cozy she turned into crabby and entitled. I still regretted that I had to hurt her, but I was glad she was gone. She would never have my back the way Victoria and Ariana did.

To be honest, there was one more reason that I was grateful for the girls' friendship - it drove Claudia crazy. She wanted them to have their claws out, begging and fighting for my love until the bitter end, not caring who they hurt to get to me. That was not me at all, and I loved the fact that the girls weren't playing her into her little game.

In a few hours, we arrived in Holmes Chapel. It was a bittersweet feeling, driving into my hometown. It was familiar, welcoming,, and I was eager to be with my family. But there was nothing that could fill the gaping hole inside of me.

"Harry," My mother came rushing out to the car and threw her arms around me the moment I exited the vehicle. "How are you?" She asked quietly in my ear.

I remained in the hug for a few moments and then leaned my forehead against hers. "I'm miserable, Mum," I whispered, trying to contain the grief in my heart. "She's not even here, but you knew Harper was the one, right? Couldn't you tell when you first met her?"

She stepped back slightly and Gem came to join us. She threw her arms around my waist and I hugged her shoulder while Mum answered my question. "Harry, we could all tell that you were mad about Harper because you couldn't stop talking about her." She and Gemma giggled like they had an inside joke, but I knew they were happy I'd found Harper. And I knew they loved her.

"I know she didn't leave," I continued in a whisper. "It just doesn't add up. I honestly think they forced her to leave, but I don't know why they would do that. This was about finding love and I found her." I closed my eyes and commanded my emotions to stay in check.

"Something isn't right," she agreed and Gem nodded too. "We'll do whatever we can to help you figure it out. But for now, you have a job to do, unfortunately. It's just a TV show. Do what you have to do and then go find her."

"That's exactly what I'm planning to do."

* * *

Ben called us together, with that witch Claudia by his side. I wasn't a mean-spirited person, but I honestly wished she would just fall into a hole and die. I knew she had something to do with Harper's disappearance, but I couldn't prove it.

Yet.

"All right, ladies," Ben addressed the remaining two. "We all know where things stand with Harry. But we're going to make these hometown dates look authentic. I doubt that will be hard because you all have such easy friendships with each other."

I glanced at Claudia and she rolled her eyes, letting out a small huff.

"Today will be Ariana's time with Harry, and tomorrow's time will be Victoria's. On Saturday, we'll finish up with any last-minute takes in case we need more footage. Then, of course, you know Harry will make his final choice on Saturday evening at the Candle Ceremony. Three days of filming and this will be all wrapped up."

I chuckled to myself because it sounded like he was trying to give us an encouraging pep talk, but the girls and I could read the underlying meaning - Just grin and bear it, and it will all be over soon.

So I played my part, just as I had done throughout the years on tour. There were days when I felt like shit and days when I was physically ill, but I always pushed through for a concert with a smile on my face. I could easily smile for the camera and show some affection for these women, all in the name of entertainment.

Even while my heart was a bloody, sobbing mess.

Ariana and I spent the early morning touring my home village, and I just told her stories about growing up there. It was very easy and enjoyable and I was glad for that. Back at my parents' house, we had a lovely home-cooked dinner and great conversation. Throughout the day, I tried my best to look like I was really hooked on Ariana. We were even "coached" by producers to engage in a few romantic kisses, which I hated - not because I didn't like kissing her, but because it was so unfair to her. She was the one I would choose at the end of the show, just to make good on my contract and I knew even that would be difficult for her.

The following day with Victoria was pretty much the same, touring my home town, spending time with my family. I thought we made a pretty good show of it all, but by Friday, I lay in my own bed at home with tears streaming silently down my face.

All I could think about was getting to the end of this show and hopping the next flight to Sacramento. It wouldn't be hard to track her father down, since he was a respected lawyer. I just hoped, against the tiny bit of nagging fear in my mind, that Harper would be happy to see me and that she really didn't want to leave me.