Phase 3: Star-Stricken

After breakfast, I went back upstairs, took a quick shower and put on a bright dress that I deemed pretty enough to meet the bachelor

After breakfast, I went back upstairs, took a quick shower and put on a bright dress that I deemed pretty enough to meet the bachelor. When I got out, Joy was awake and putting on make up.

"Did the others already go downstairs?" I asked.

"I think so. I got to talk with Ariana for a little bit and practice my Italian," she said with a smile. "I need to take four years of it to graduate."

Interesting, that sounded like a high school requirement rather than college, unless her major was Italian or International Business.

"Does this look okay?" I asked as I motioned to the light, summery dress I was wearing; it had big orange and white flowers.

"It's amazing," she said, nodding enthusiastically. "And I love the shoes and earrings. Perfect pairing."

"Thanks. My best friend picked it out for me and I don't usually go for bright and flowery, but I think it's growing on me."

The bachelor already had his first impression of me from the interview last night, so the pressure was off as far as selecting just the right clothes. I put on enough make up so that Allegra wouldn't yell at me once she watched the show – she told me to wear more than I usually would so my face wasn't washed out on camera. I took my time with the mascara, and then I dabbed on some lip stain, covering it with gloss. Finally, I brushed my teeth, most important of all.

"You look fantastic, too, by the way." Joy was wearing a jungle green spaghetti strap dress with small fuschia and yellow flowers. And her hair was tumbling down in fantastically tight spirals, all the way to the middle of her back. "So, Joy, what grade are you in?"

"Going into twelfth," she said, not even taking a minute to think. A moment later she looked at me, widening her eyes in fear. "Oh, uh, I mean my um, junior year in college."

"It's okay, Joy. I won't tell anyone, but you're not really old enough to be here, are you?"

"Shit," she muttered. "No, I'm not."

"You know if they find out, they're going to send you home."

"I know. I just wanted a chance to meet him," she said dreamily.

"Sweetie, there will be a lot of bachelors in your future," I told her. "You could wait til you're a little older."

"No, I have to meet this one," she said emphatically. "I...um...I kind of know who he is."

"How did you find out?" I gasped. "Is he famous like everyone says?"

"I can't tell you. But I know for sure who it is. Just don't ask me how I know, and please, don't tell on me."

"No, I promised I wouldn't," I assured her. "I get it. Just be careful, okay? Things could get ugly around here and you're still so young. How old are you, exactly?"