Week 1: Auditions

After we'd gotten ready for the day, Ben told us to gather in one of the living rooms

After we'd gotten ready for the day, Ben told us to gather in one of the living rooms. There, he addressed us, letting us know how things would work for the week. 

"Well, ladies, are you ready for the real fun to begin?" 

"Yes!" Was the collective shout. Shit, my eardrums weren't ready for that. 

"This week, this week," he said excitedly. "There will be a one-on-one date and two group dates. I have the first date card in my hand, and as soon as I'm finished here, you can read it and the women listed should get ready for the first group date." He paused to make sure everyone understood how the week would go. But it was obvious he wasn't finished. "Annnnd...Harry has requested another all-day activity with everyone here, so you'll have that extra chance to get to know him. Now, this doesn't normally happen, but he is Harry Styles after all, so we went with it."

That last part both excited me and irritated me just a little. I found it sweet that Harry wanted additional time with all of us. But I didn't care for the way Ben said, "he is Harry Styles, after all," like we should bow to him as if he were royalty or something. I get that he's a worldwide superstar, but it didn't sit well that Harry could just snap his fingers and things would be done according to his wishes.

As soon as Ben left, Lucy stood up and grabbed the date card. She removed it from the envelope dramatically and read, "Dove, Ariana, Demi, Allison, Gemma, Victoria, Bianca and Elena." She stopped to increase the suspense. "Let's find out if we can create the Best Song Ever. Love,  Harry." 

The girls collectively swooned; all except Dove who was visibly peeved at not having a one-on-one date with Harry. Within half an hour, the man himself showed up and there was a unified scream, much more subdued than the earlier shout, thank goodness. They reminded me of a flock of starlings, and yes I understand the irony here, with the way they all seemed to respond and move as a group whenever Harry was around. 

I found it very sweet that Harry came to all of us who weren't going on the date to greet us before he left on a date with eight women, which would sound creepy in the outside world, but for some reason, it was totally acceptable here. I had no doubt that Harry knew how to handle himself in a group of women, and I was eager to hear stories about the date when they came back. 

We followed the date groupies out - that was my new term for them and I think it fit perfectly - and it was no surprise that Dove practically sprinted, in her stillettos, to the gorgeous midnight blue Tahoe and hopped into the front seat, not waiting for Harry's chivalry, which he displayed by opening the doors for the seven other women. Dove was irritated to find that Demi would have to take a front seat as well, which actually caused her to move closer to Harry. But she held an exaggerated pout on her face to show her distaste at having to share the front seat with Demi. I rolled my eyes in disgust. I honestly wondered if guys liked when girls tripped over themselves to be noticed and then acted like complete bitches, or if, like me, they found it tacky and annoying.