*13*

Melanie groaned as she felt herself waking up. She knew she had been cheated out of more than her required amount of sleep, but someone was summoning her. She rubbed her still closed eyes with her fists before prying them open.

She screamed when she saw someone leaning in her face. She kicked and flailed her limbs, ending up on the floor.

"There is no danger, Melanie."

"I swear to-"

"Don't say his name in vein, please."

Melanie groaned again as Spencer cocked his head at her. "I've been summoned somewhere, why are you here?"

Spencer sat himself down on the floor as Melanie sat up, crossing her legs. "A human has been taken by demonic means." He relayed to her, to which she shrugged.

"That kind of thing happens all the time." She replied before yawning.

Spencer shook his head. "Not with magic like this. This is ancient and powerful stuff." He held out his hand, placing it on her knee. "They are getting closer."

"As I told you they would!" Melanie spat in frustration, "You're so afraid of the world falling apart, but you don't listen to warnings when presented to you!"

"My brothers and sisters said-"

"They're not always the answer." Melanie argued, softly. She wished Spencer could see the corruption around him, but he was blind in that sense. He didn't go against what his brothers and sisters ordered.

Spencer looked down as Melanie felt a pull to her arm. She was still being summoned, and she was making her summoner grow impatient. "I have a prior engagement." She said, gently placing her hand on his. "I have to go."

He nodded, sliding his hand out from under hers. "If you can find a way to stall this, please-"

Melanie shook her head. "Once it has begun,it can't be stopped by a mere witch." She gave him a sad smile, "Sorry, angel boy."

He nodded, frowning at her. "Be careful down there."

She laughed, "Honey, I've been dealing with demons a lot longer than I've been dealing with your type."

---

Dallon was laying still on the bed. His eyes were closed as his chest steadily rose and fell. Brendon was sitting criss crossed on the bed next to him, playing with the human's fingers. He tilted his head with a soft muse as he pushed his hand against Dallon's.

"Big hands do equal a big hidden surprise." He giggled as a knock was heard at the door. "Come in!" He turned his head to see Melanie stepping through the door.

She smiled at him. "You've summoned me?" She asked, twisting her teal hair around her finger.

Brendon nodded, "I need a second opinion, and your is the one I trust most."

"I'm honored to be the one you call." She smiled wider as she stepped over to the bed, "For him?"

"Yes, Dallon." Brendon nodded again, "He was wavering after I made a slight adjustment to the spell in order to get the sacrifice that I can't touch."

Melanie placed her hands on the bed and lifted herself up, tilting her head while listening to Brendon's words. "What did you do to fix it?"

"I traced over his heart and his head." Brendon said, pointing to the corresponding body parts on himself as he did so. "It seemed to work better than ever but, like I said, I wanted a second opinion." He shrugged. He pulled Dallon up into a sitting position with a groan.