The Importance of Taking Your Time

"Hey," Jack slapped his hand on Mark's shoulder before he could rush past him. "Why're you in such a hurry? You said we could hang when school let out." Mark stopped walking and looked back at Jack, rubbing his hand down his face.

"I'm sorry, I forgot. Your place or mine?" Jack shrugged. "It's yours then."

The two walked out of the schoolyard and down the sidewalk so close their hands battered against one another with each step.

"You think Cry and Felix are cute?" Suddenly came out of Jack's mouth. Mark looked down at him with a look of confusion.

"As in 'Oh yeah, they're adorable. I wanna kiss them.' or they'd be cute together?"

"Cute together."

"Yeah, they should totally hook up. Do you see the way they look at each other?" Jack laughed.

"Yeah, I do." His smile faded fast as he mumbled to himself. "If only you saw the way I look at you."

"Hm?" Mark, who had been distracted by the leaves on the autumn ground, looked back to Jack. He shook his head.

"Nothing."

They'd gotten to Jack's house, thrown bags in closets, and unlocked phones before they began talking. Jack locked his phone and set it down before speaking.

"Have you ever loved someone so much it felt like you're in some cliché movie?" Mark stopped scrolling abruptly and nodded.

"Yeah, actually. Have you ever been afraid of the person you like not feeling the same way?"

"Of course! It's the worst." A silence settled between the two. For a moment, but only a moment, did their connection reach its full potential.

"Did you know that person is you?" Mark mumbled, letting his phone fall on his chest. He took a deep breath in, awaiting his friend's answer and throwing his arms over his eyes.

"I do now." A pair of soft, pale lips pushed gently against Mark's own. Not enough to force him back into the bed, not little enough to barely feel it. He could only feel the blood rush to his cheeks and his palms become sweaty. Jack pulled away and sat at the head of his bed, face flushed and senses nervous.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to like, force anything-" Mark cut him off with another kiss to his lips, a bit more forceful. He didn't want to let go of the other boy's neck, but he did.

"You're a good kisser." Jack said nonchalantly as another smile formed at his lips. Mark chuckled.

"Thanks. I could say the same to you."

••••

Sorry I haven't updated much. School n shit. I hate math this year because we're doing scientific notation and all that good stuff. Also, mistakes. There were prolly some in here but whatever. I'm tired. But hey, happy spooktober. Ily bbys sm