Without You

"I've got special plans, babe. Don't plan on going anywhere tonight." Mark said as he sat down beside his boyfriend on the couch. Sean was editing a recent Happy Wheels video on his laptop.

"Okay... What do you have planned?" Sean asked as he scooted closer to Mark. He pulled Sean on his lap as he continued to edit.

"It's a surprise." Mark began to nibble and blow on Sean's neck. He nudged him away, kissing Mark and putting his laptop on the table. Mark fake pouted.

"Well, go ahead and get dressed. Be..." Mark waved his hands dramatically. "fancy!" Sean laughed and pushed Mark's hair back to kiss his forehead, then headed upstairs.

~

"Ready?" Mark yelled up the stairs as he fixed his sleeves. Sean came bounding down the stairs, tripping as he reached the bottom. He fell into Mark, almost knocking him down. Mark helped him stand back up.

"Why's your hair all slicked back like that? You never wear it that way." Mark noticed, fixing his faded blue hair back to the left. No matter how much he messed with it, it never seemed to stay.

"I felt like it. Now let's go, I'm wanting to see this mystery place you're taking me to!" Sean grabbed Mark's hand and squeezed it. Mark laughed and led Sean outside and into his car.

~

"How are you two to-" The lady at the restaurant's counter asked our couple as they walked through the door. She was cut off when she looked at their intertwined fingers. She glared at them and grit her teeth.

"Come right this way, gentlemen..." She rushed away, Mark and Sean jogging to keep up with her, almost tripping over each other and giggling, mocking her.

She threw their menus on the table. Mark walked around to Sean's side and pulled his chair out for him, Sean sitting in it. The woman rolled her eyes.

"Oh please." She said under her breath. Mark looked at her as he sat, giving her a dirty look.

"Sorry?"

"Oh nothing. What do you want to drink?"

"Sean?" Mark looked to Sean.

"I'll just have a water. Markimoo?" Sean picked up on the woman's homophobia, purposely aggravating her. Mark winked at Sean, and vise versa.

"I'll take a Pepsi."

The lady scoffed and walked away to get their drinks. She stopped by the counter and mumbled to a girl about seventeen. Her hair was all combed over to the side and colored purple at the roots, then slowly shifting to blue.

After the first woman stopped talking to her, she walked back behind her counter and continued welcoming guests. The other girl, however, looked disgusted with the woman. She gave her a dirty look and went into the kitchen, coming out with a glass of Pepsi and another glass of water.

She came over to Mark and Sean's table and sat the drinks down, leaning on the empty chair.

"Are you here to bash us too?" Sean asked, taking a sip of his water.

"No, actually. I'm here to congratulate you. Edna's like that with around guys like you. She's a diehard Christian who's completely about God and that sort of stuff. As for me, I'm not really religious." The girl held her hand out to Sean.

"I'm Elaine. It's nice you meet you both." She shook both Sean and Mark's hands.

"Nice to meet you, as well... Do you not like that lady?" Mark asked her. Elaine scoffed.

"Ohohoho, no. She's such a homophobic-" Elaine was cut off mid-sentence.

"Elaine, back to work!" Edna came up from behind and shoved Elaine's shoulder and walked away, but not before giving the couple the dirtiest look she could muster.

"I'm on it!" Elaine turned to Edna and smiled, but soon turned back to Sean and Mark and made a gagging face. Sean suppressed a snort, as did Mark. She soon sped off to bus other tables.

After a few minutes of sitting in silence, the sound of silverware clanking together in the kitchen started to grow quieter and the ringing in Sean's ears grew louder. He started to tap his fingers on the table. Mark grabbed his hand and intertwined their fingers, a small smile appearing on his lover's face.

"What's wrong, baby?" Mark asked. Sean huffed.

"I hear the ringing." Mark sighed.

Sean has admitted it before, his hearing is horrendous. It has been ever since he was the drummer in that band in his school days. When it gets quiet enough, he can hear ringing in his ears.

"Come on." Mark stood up, pulling Sean with him. Mark led Sean to the empty dance floor in the center of the main hall, other couples standing off to the side and waiting for the music to start or another couple to step in.

Mark and Sean stood in the middle of the floor, Mark wrapping his arms around Sean's waist and rocking and swaying him back and forth. Sean rested his forearms on Mark's shoulders, Mark pulling him closer.

"You're so beautiful." Mark whispered.

"You're so wonderful." Mark continued. Sean rested his head on Mark's chest, slowly closing his eyes.

"I love you so much." Sean picked up what his boyfriend was doing and smiled to himself.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"You're what I live for."

"I'll always love you." Sean picked his head up and locked lips with Mark.

"Shut up, you goof. I love you too." Mark smiled and continued to sway with his boyfriend, a few couples joining them as the slow-paced music began to play.