Part Three: Forty Two

We followed the advisor quickly through the streets, until we arrived at the Garrison base that was in Stohess. Emilee was holding my hand tightly. I looked up. A small group of Garrison members stood at the top of the wall, setting up signal guns and talking excitedly amongst each other. My stomach flipped.

"Excuse me? Is this what I think it is?" I asked the advisor, hopefully.

She turned around to face us with a big grin. "Yes, it is!" she answered. Simon looked at me, and I looked at him. We smiled. I could feel a tear prickle the corner of my eye.

"Mummy? Is this about daddy?"

"Yes it is darling. He's coming home!"

"Yey!" she almost screamed with joy, and reached up her arms to hug me.

Simon smiled. "Let's go."

We made our way into the Garrison base, and sat down at a long table with the members.

After sitting Emilee down, I stood up.

"What is the news?"

A short haired, tall girl stood up. "We're just awaiting Mr Pixis Ma'am. He should be here soon."

"What has been heard?" I asked. The same Garrison member looked up at me.

"We received a signal an hour ago from Karanese saying that the Scouts had been spotted coming nearer. All of them. The volunteers, the lot."

"That's amazing news!" I said. She nodded.

"Yes. We are unsure of where they are now though."

"Knowing Commander Erwin, they're on their way here. But if there has been casualties, they might have stayed in Karanese. My Military Police members are definite to come here to see me first, therefore its a waiting game now."

She nodded, and sat down. Then the door opened, and in came Pixis and a few other Garrison members.

"Hello Annie. Simon." He smiled. Simon stood up to shake his hand. I sat back down with him.

"The news is as positive as I think it is, I presume?" Pixis commented, looking around at us.

"Indeed it is," I said.

"We can assume that they will come through the city, in order to go to see the king. We can also assume that the king will ask for us Annie."

"Yes. I think so too."

"Well, the rest of you can leave. I wish to talk to Miss Leonhardt alone."

I looked towards Simon, who winked, answering my unasked question by standing up and taking Emilee by the hand outside to wait. I smiled, then turned and sat down with the king.

"I take it this news is music to your ears," he said, looking down at his parchment paper. I scowled.

"Yes. Indeed it is."

He smiled. "You'll marry this boy then?"

"Yes. Of course."

"Good. Now, unless you have anything else-"

"I just want you to know that the Scouting Legion worked extremely hard for this. I'm sure you could see that last year. But they don't get treated fairy, and I want to see an increase in their incomes and their living standards."

"That's a lot to ask."

"When I was merely a trainee in the Military Police, I won more money that all of the Scouting Legion combined. It cannot be difficult therefore to increase their salaries. They do a harder job than a lot of my trainees. They deserve it, after all."