Seven

As soon as they breach the wall again, we should be safer, shouldn't we?

The walls will be stronger. The Scouts will go further, kill them all.

Maybe Armin will see what there is beyond the wall. And maybe, I'll join him.

He's strong, he's brave. He has survived, hasn't he? He must have. He has to. For Emilee.

I shudder with the thought.

They'll come back, I'll be reunited with the people I trained with. They'll found out about her. It cant be a secret forever. Since she was born it had all been silent news, and I frequently see surprised faces as visitors come into the MP base, with a small child running around.

I've been so protective of her, I've kept her here, in my sight at all times, or in safe hands while I work. You could say she's my only love, but I'd be lying if I said that was true.

What would I do if they were to find out who her father was? How would he react? Would he abandon me again, would he stay?

My fairytale is tragic, my prince charming is dedicated to his team. My baby princess doesn't know the full story, she will live in a spiral of lies.

The thought fills me with dread. Telling Armin. The man I haven't seen for three years. The man I love. He is a father to a beautiful girl he's never met before.

I would have sent a letter to explain to him that I was pregnant, but I didn't know where he was, and the Scouts wouldn't be too pleased to hear the news. Once you've dedicated yourself to the Scouts, there's no turning back.

And I've come to accept the worse.

* * *

I woke up instantly, jumping up and sitting upright. The room was dark and cold, the light trying to come in through the curtains.

It must have been around six. I stretched, cursing myself again for another stressful dream.

It had been weeks since the king received the letter. They'd return any day now. He will return.

* * *

After an hour or so, I heard Emilee call for me in the other room. I ran to her side to pick her up and hug her tight. She wasn't happy with loneliness. Yet.

But as I took her downstairs for breakfast, she was still unhappy, and didn't want to let go of me. I sighed.

"Come on sweet. Don't do this to me. What's wrong?"

And just like that, almost as an answer to my question, someone started banging on the door.

"Annie! Annie! Come quick!" Came Hitch's frantic voice.

"What is it?!"

"The Scouts! They've been spotted! They're on their way! They're almost at the wall! Quick, we need you!"

My body stopped, my blood froze.

After taking Emilee to my neighbours, I followed Hitch through the streets towards the wall entrance. They were slowly opening it, and a crowd was gathering.

"Move out of the way! This is the Military Police! Make way!" The squad followed my orders, pushing everyone back to make room for the Scouts. As the huge gate opened, I saw them coming over from the hill. I took a deep sigh of relief. There seemed to be a large amount of people there. I waited next to gate with a large group of the Garrison and the rest of the Military Police.

Then they arrived. Lead by Erwin, who saw me, and smiled. Then Levi and Hanji and Mike, The Special Operations Squad, every last one! They were still alive. I almost smiled, although I wanted so badly just to see him. As Erwin's horse stopped, he jumped off and walked towards me.

I was obliged to escort the higher ranking. Hitch and Marlo and a few others walked down towards the other Scout member. I hesitated, but they were still getting through and I couldn't see them. I nodded at Erwin, and they started to follow me along to meet the king.

"Hello Annie." Erwin said behind me. I turned my head slightly.

"Hello Erwin." I answered. "Its been a while."

"Yes, we know. Its been a slow one, but we managed to do it."

"I know. Its great," I answered. He looked around longingly. "Okay, here we are. Stables to the right. I'll take you up to the palace now."

They dismounted their horses and then followed me up to the kings quarters.

They were definitely tired. Weak and slow, ready to give up. This expedition had not been easy. They were definitely happy to be home. I stopped, and moved to the side to let them in, and as Petra walked past, her eyes twitched as she was limping.

"Oh, here, let me help you."

Before she could protest, I hooked my arm under hers, taking the weight off her feet.

"Thank you so much Annie," she whispered. The door opened and the king called us in.

"Hello! Oh, my! You're all still alive! Thank you, Miss Leonhardt."

I saluted, and went to stand guard by the door. The Scouts sat at his table, thankful for the chance to sit down, as the king began asking important questions. As soon as the Scouts had finished talking to the king about our current situation and after the king updated them on what they had missed, they moved on to something that caught my attention.

"Any casualties we should know about?"

"A few. But one suffered a titan attack. Lost a lot of blood, and a leg. He's going to need extreme care your majesty."

"Oh? And who might that be?"

There was a silence in the air. Levi frowned.

"Arlert, majesty. Armin Arlert."

Just like that, my heart stopped. Without a moment to spare, I had ran out of the door.