Part Two: Thirty

"Mummy!" Emilee yelled, grinning as I walked through the door of the house, and I kneeled down to hug her.

"Hello gorgeous," I smiled, stroking her hair slowly. "I'm here."

She played with my hair while I stared sadly behind her. I hate leaving her, even if its only for a meeting.

As for Armin and the Scouts, I received a signal from the Scouts in Karanese in the distance, telling me they were safe. It was a system we created a few years ago so that when the Scouts return, the cities would be informed. I knew, therefore, that they were safe.

But that didn't stop me worrying. Who knew how long they'd be now. Who knew how long it'll be until I see Armin again.

"Come here," I said, picking her up and standing up. She leaned her head on my shoulder.

She started to giggle. I smiled, moving her in front of me.

"What is it?" I asked. She pointed behind me, at my study. I sighed. "Is it the picture?" I asked. She nodded enthusiastically. I walked over, opened the door and took it out of the drawer, sitting down with her on my lap.

"That there is your daddy. He's very far away right now, but that's okay. He's being very brave. Very, very brave. And he's helping a lot of people. He'll be home soon. He loves you very much."

She smiled up at me, then turned and placed her hand again on his face. "Daddy," she whispered to him. I nodded.

"That's right."

"Where is daddy, mummy? Who is daddy?" She asked.

I frowned. I knew this day would come. Just not so early.

She doesn't even know him, so no wonder she's curious.

Well, I may as well tell her now.

"His name is Armin. He's blond like you, has blue eyes like you, and is incredibly smart like you. He's in the Scouts, see? That badge there says. He's with all of his friends there. One thing that's different about him is that he has one leg." Her eyes widened more and more, engrossed in every detail.

"One leg?" She gasped. I nodded quickly.

"Yep, it was bitten off!" I said, making a movement with my hand like a sword. She giggled, watching with interest. "But he's fine. He created a new one. And now he's as healthy as ever."

She nodded, staring at me with intrigue.

"You haven't met him before, because he's been very very busy. He's been away fighting, and now he's away again. But one day he will return, and when he does, I know he's going to love you as much as I love you."

Her eyes sparkled. I smiled lovingly down at my beautiful daughter.

Only a while now Emilee. And then we will get our family.

* * *

(Armin's POV)

"Armin! Where have you been!?" Eren and Mikasa came running over as we arrived in the base. It was late, I was tired and lightheaded.

"Some titans managed to get through Nedlay. Its fine though. We killed them."

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I-I'm sorry, I'm so tired. Can we sit down?" I asked. They nodded, rushing me along to the steps of the sleeping quarters.

"We were so worried."

"We had to go to check there wasn't any damage. We were almost in Nedlay when we met the Garrison there. We lost our horses, and we had to spend a night in Karanese so that Stohess District could be informed. I'm sorry."

"Hey, don't be sorry. We're just glad you're safe, that's all," Mikasa said, rubbing my arm comfortingly.

Tell them. Tell them your thoughts.

"Are you alright Armin?" Eren asked. I nodded, but really, I was so confused and upset, that my face said otherwise. Mikasa narrowed her eyes.

"How was the meeting?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, it was fine. The king talked to me, that was great," I sighed. They both frowned at me.

Mikasa looked up, ready to say something. "Did you see...?"

"Yeah, yeah I did. She was trying to tell me something before I left, then she didn't say it," I said, shaking my head. "But it was great to see her, and I kinda told her I love her."

"Really Armin?" Eren laughed. "After you dumped her? Did she say anything back?"

"No, well, she seemed very distant. Like I said, she wanted to tell me something, and she didn't." Truthfully, I hadn't thought about that all day. I put my stupid thoughts to one side, deciding I would wait for the right time to ask her myself. I was probably wrong anyway.

"Right," Eren said. I realised then that Mikasa was staring thoughtfully at the floor. I waved at her face, and she shook out of her daydream.

"Sorry. I was just thinking about something."

Then out of nowhere, Eren huffed loudly.

"Why is it, than whenever you two return from Stohess, you're depressed and away with your thoughts? What happens? Is it Annie?" He asked. I shivered. Mikasa's eyes grew wide, and she looked at me. I stared back at her.

"Eren, I'm just really tired after the long journey. I don't know about Mikasa. But I promise, I'm fine."

Mikasa shook her head. "I'm sorry, no, honestly I'm alright. I'm just tired as well, but just tired of this. The rebuild is taking so long, and the titans are close" she muttered.

I raised an eyebrow, while she averted my gaze. Mikasa of all people was definitely not afraid of the titans returning.

She was definitely hiding something.

And from the way she looked at me recently, I just know it has something to do with me.