Part Two: Twenty Two

(Mikasa's POV)

Something doesn't add up.

That child is Annie's daughter. She must have been two, maybe three when we saw her last year.

We had been away on the expedition to reclaim Wall Maria for three years. If that child is four years old today, how does it make sense that she has a child, when she was with us?

If we say the child is three years old today, then that would have given Annie a year to find someone new after Armin finished things with her. But how could she let herself get pregnant so quickly?

Maybe she really did find her one true love, and a few months was all that they needed before settling down and having children.

That child cant be any older than three, otherwise, Annie was pregnant when we were all still in Stohess. She was in love with Armin. I doubt she had an affair.

She obviously moved on, she always seemed to have a strong, colder side. She must have gotten over their split. Armin did tell her to move on and find someone who wouldn't leave her all the time.

That must be it. Annie has a daughter. And it has nothing to do with us.

I do have one other theory.

It must be insane, it cant be, can it?

What if Armin was the father?

It could make sense. If that child was four, then maybe Annie fell pregnant just as Armin was about to leave. Pregnancies take nine months, so the child could even be three, and we're being tricked into thinking that its somebody else's.

The limited evidence that I have seems to match up to that conclusion in my mind.

Maybe Armin is the father. That because he was gone for so long, Annie was lead to believe that he wouldn't come back, and she created this new father figure in his place, so people wouldn't start asking questions.

I have no idea, but I'm not leaving the thoughts to rest.

* * *

"Annie?"

"Yeah?"

I was writing a letter to the MP's in Karanese when Hitch peaked her head through the door. "Well, you have a visitor..."

"Well, send them up," I said. She bit her lip.

"Okay." She left. I heard her walking down the corridor and down the stairs, before returning. I looked up from my work, and a small smirk formed on my lip.

It was one of the King 's associates. He was the taxman, and was also a proud member of the church, who always found a way to pester me about Armin, and the fact that I had given birth outside of wedlock.

I hated him, a lot.

"Hello Ms Leonhardt," he said, cheerfully. "I'm afraid I have been sent here by the kings associates."

"Right..." I raised an eyebrow, grabbing my quill and continuing to write. I could see Hitch behind him, barely containing her laughter, trying to keep a serious face.

This happened every time.

"Well, we were looking through your files the other day, and well, it seems your daughter doesn't have a father. Therefore, if in the unlikely event that you were to die doing this dangerous job, we would not know who she would go to. I'm afraid the father is the other parent, and has full responsibility for her. We therefore need a name."

I looked up from my work, siting up straight, shaking my head in annoyance.

"What if I were to tell you that her father is dead?" I asked. He stiffened up.

"B-because, his Royal Highness tells me differently..."

"Oh, really? So its all true if he says it, is it? Well, I don't want her fathers name on the data, thank you."

"Why?"

"Because he has never met her before, he's with the Scouts. They were away on their three year expedition when I found I was pregnant. Therefore, no, now please leave the building. Thank you."

I heard some movement outside, but when I looked up again Hitch had left the room, and je remained there in front of me.

"Please Ms Leonhardt. We need a name."

"How do you know that I'm not lying?"

"Umm, we just, we can check."

"All of those names? Including those deceased?"

"Please. We aren't going to put it on a billboard in front of everyone. We know it may be hard, but this is important."

I sighed, giving in. He had a point.

"Armin Arlert," I whispered.

"I'm sorry?"

"Armin. Arlert!" I almost shouted.

From outside came two voices shouting. I heard Hitch yell.

"No! No!"

Then through the door, came Mikasa. Her eyes were wide, fixed on me. I felt a choking sensation in my throat as I gulped. Her mouth was open, forming almost a smile.

"I can't believe it," she whispered, taking a step forward.

I shook my head slowly, but it was no use. I stood up, and walked towards her.

"Lets take a walk," I muttered, and she followed me out of the room.