Part Two: Twenty One

I finally arrived back in Stohess late at night. I couldn't be happier to see Emilee. I hate leaving her when I go on long trips. She was happy and jumpy when she saw me. I held her close, laughing and stroking her blonde hair.

"What did you do while mummy was gone?" I asked. She smiled playfully.

"Played outside!" She exclaimed. I laughed, nodding. "Picture! Picture!" She then started chanting. I raised an eyebrow.

"What picture?" I laughed. She pointed into my study, I put her down and let her pull me inside. She simply pointed at the picture of Armin that I had accidently left out. "Oh..?"

She laughed, and jumped, grinning and nodding. "He was outside!"

"Was he?" I gasped.

She nodded again. "Yeah!"

"Oh, right, are you sure?"

She pulled an annoyed face, nodding demandingly. I raised an eyebrow.

Yeah right, like Armin would come all the way to Stohess to visit me. She obviously got mistaken.

"Okay, miss, time for bed!" I said, scooping her up, taking her to her bedroom.

After a long day, she fell asleep instantly, and minutes later, in my own bed, so did I.

* * *

(Armin's POV)

It was dark, and late. I left Stohess as soon as I finished with Zita. I didn't want to hang around. I was trying to reach Trost tonight, so I could rest and then be back in the Scouts base by the next day. I had made excellent progress, instead of a week, I'd manage the trip in five days.

I was so confused. The speed I was riding helped me de-stress, and by concentrating on the road ahead, I could be distracted.

I kept trying to work it out in my head. That child looked about three, maybe four years old. How long had Annie and I been separated? Four, five years? I cant really remember. She must have moved on quickly then.

I sighed into the night sky. When finally, I could see lights surrounding the wall in the distance, I loaded my signal gun. Shooting it, the Garrison noticed, and the gate opened slowly. I sped through, having encouraged my horse to run a little bit too fast.

"Hey! Hey! Slow down!" A Garrison member yelled. My horse stopped, and I jumped off him, holding his reins and walking over.

"I'm very sorry. I've come from Stohess. I was in a hurry," I smiled. She noticed my uniform and smiled.

"No problem. Come, I'll show you to the stables."

"Thank you."

I yawned, stretching and following her.

I found am empty stable, fetched some water and brought out an apple from Stohess, and fed him.

I then proceeded to a hotel, where I fell asleep almost instantly.

* * *

"Armin! You're back! Hey!" Eren and Mikasa ran over, dirty and sweating. Everyone had just arrived back from Wall Maria. I had arrived about an hour before, having some food and unpacking.

"Hi guys. Yeah, it was great."

"We didn't think you'd be so early! You must have rid all night."

I sighed, nodding. "Yeah, I guess so. Look guys, Annie has a daughter."

Eren and Mikasa looked at each other, as did Sasha and Connie.

"Oh my god! Really?"

"Yeah?"

Mikasa's eyes narrowed. "Wait, is she blond, blue eyes?"

"Yeah?"

"Annie told us last year that she was her second niece or something."

I shrugged my shoulders, sighing again. "She must have lied."

"Yeah."

"How do you know?"

"Long story. I was about to go and see if Annie was there, I stood out by the river, when she came running up to me. Annie's neighbour was looking after me, said it was hers. She seemed surprised that I didn't know." I bit my lip, staring at the floor.

"Oh, well, what can you do Armin? You did brake up with her," Jean muttered.

"Thanks," I muttered back.

Eren smiled weakly. I raised my eyebrows.

Sasha ran forwards, ignoring the awkward silence. "Anyway, in other news, Connie and I are going to get married! Once this wall is built, we're finally going to do it!"

She smiled, throwing her arms around me.

"Don't you worry about her Armin!"

"I don't, not anymore," I answered. She nodded.

"Okay. That's good. You're getting over her!"

I decided I'd help change the subject.

"So, Sasha, Connie!"

Everyone smiled. Connie was walking around behind us casually, with his arms crossed behind his head. "Oh yeah, I was gonna propose properly, but you were sent away, and I didn't do it. Anyway, Sasha found the ring like two days ago, and I asked her."

"Aww, congratulations!" I grinned. "I'm proud of you guys!"

"Connie, you promised!" Sasha said mockingly. I raised an eyebrow, Connie laughed.

"Alright, fine! Out of the way everyone!" He yelled grabbing the attention of the Scouts that were all still outside. "Sasha Braus, you make me happy, and all that, so umm, will you marry me, you know, when Wall Maria is finished being built?" He fell clumsily onto one knee, and Sasha made an over-the-top gasp of happiness.

"Yes!" She yelled. Connie put the ring on her, and they both ran into each others arms.

"Beautiful," Jean smirked. We all laughed. The other members that had been listening clapped and ran over to congratulate them.

A good day, a good distraction from her.

If that's as good as it gets, I'll take it.