Fifteen

"Its okay Emilee. Sweetheart, stop crying. Please."

I had her cradled in my arms. She was crying into my chest. I have no idea why. Her babysitter had left embarrassed and upset by her sudden outburst of tears. I started getting increasingly upset as well.

I was thinking about Armin. What if he was dead? What if the Scouts were burying him right now?

She started hiccupping, then eventually calmed down. I sat down, taking a deep breath. She turned to look at me, hugging me tightly. I let a tear roll down my cheek.

"It's okay sweetheart. It's okay." 

"I saw titan mummy. Through window," she whispered. I sighed. I never thought she'd have to see one. It had scared her. I rubbed her back gently.

"I know, its okay. He's not there anymore, okay? Everything's... Everything's okay," I breathed. "Come on, lets read a book. Which one would you like?"

She picked a book from the shelf, and sat on the sofa. I sat next to her, taking the book, holding it in front of her, and read.

It was at least a good distraction.

Later, I put her to bed and she fell asleep instantly. I went into my Study, which had been Armin's, and opened up the scrapbook.

The one I hadn't looked at in three years.

It was meant to be a scrapbook of our lives together. It was so beautiful. I followed the embroidery with my finger, before opening it.

The pictures attacked me on a new emotional level. So much happy memories, smiles, love. We were so young, so innocent. There were pictures that I had taken of Armin and his inventions and intelligent designs. I sniffed weakly at each picture.

The last picture in the half empty book was of Armin, Mikasa, Eren and myself. We were happy and laughing. That was the last time I had smiled. A few days before that day they left.

A week or so before I found out I was pregnant.

I shut the book slowly. Then, as I did so, a piece of paper fell out.

It was an envelope. On it, it said "For Annie," in Armin's tidy handwriting.

I hesitated, before opening it. It was a letter.

Annie,

If you're reading this, you're looking through that scrapbook of ours again. I knew you would at some point. At this time, I'm either still away with the Scouts regaining Wall Maria, or dead. We split up. But I need to tell you something.

I know I ended it, but I still love you. I love you very much.

One day, we will regain Wall Maria. One day, I'll come back to you.

And when I do, Annie, I promise I will never leave you.

But, if you're reading this because you're throwing the scrapbook of damaged memories away, and you're happily married to someone, then I wish you happiness and luck. I'm glad you found the prince you gully deserve.

We will meet again Annie. I promise I'll live.

I love you,

Armin.

I blinked a wave of tears that fell onto the fragile piece of paper. Of course Armin would do something like this.

I put the letter in a drawer, and sat down, overwhelmed, on my chair.

He was still in love with me.

The picture of him was in another drawer. I took it out, and looked at him for a long time.

I have to see him. I have to know that he's alright.

He has to know that I love him.