Part Three: Thirty Five

"I love you mummy!" She whispered into my ear as I held her close. I was down on my knees, on the dirty floor of the courtyard, ready to leave.

"Be safe, okay? You're gonna have so much fun with Aunty Hitch, I promise!" She kissed me on the cheek, and I gave her one last squeeze, then stood up. Hitch walked forward, smiling. I nodded, smiling back.

"Have a great time Annie."

"I will." I turned back around to face Emilee, who was watching me with big eyes. "I love you Emilee."

"I love you too mummy! Tell daddy I love him too!"

I smiled, running over to give her another hug. "Of course."

* * *

I had to wait an hour for the king to arrive through the gate into Stohess with Pixis and his guards. Pixis stood in front of the carriage. I smirked at the obvious gap next to him.

"He wants us to escort him through the cities. Then we can come in," he said.

"I can get my horse..."

"No, no. He insists. We'll ride in the carriage as soon as we leave the city, then we'll come out and escort him again into Trost."

"Right, okay."

We continued our walk through Stohess. The streets were quiet, the sky gray. Those that were out collecting milk in the early morning, or heading out to work, stopped and let us walk past them, standing and staring in awe and admiration. I just bowed my head low so that I don't stand out, but I straightened up when Pixis noticed, and whispered for me to stand up straight. I grabbed the pistol strap around my chest, sighing deeply, before looking up again, ignoring the staring faces.

Once we arrived at the gate, we stopped. Pixis turned to me, gesturing towards the gate guards. "You can do the honours."

I nodded, walking over to them. I needn't only to nod, and they slowly started to open the gate.

"Lets go Annie," Pixis said, placing his warm hand on my shoulder. I nodded, following him to the carriage.

A guard opened the door for us, and we climbed in. The both of us sat opposite the king and his humble assistant, who smiled and nodded at me.

"Miss Leonhardt, its been a long time," the king smiled. I nodded.

"Indeed."

"Where have you been all of these years?"

"Doing my job, your highness. And being a mother," I muttered. He chuckled.

"Of course! And how old is little Amelia now?"

"Emilee, and she's nine."

"Pardon?"

"Her name is Emilee, sir. She is nine years old. She will be ten in may."

"Ah. Oh, how the time goes." He smiled distantly to himself, shaking his head. I raised an eyebrow, choosing to look through the window rather than listen to the one-sided drag of a conversation the king was having with Pixis.

I watched the countryside run past, thinking of the many trips Armin and I took to Wall Rose all those years ago. I heard someone shift in front of me, and when I turned to look, the kings assistant was watching the scenery outside with me.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is," I said.

He smiled, shifting closer, and reached out his hand.

"Hi, I'm Simon."

"Hello," I said. "I haven't seen you before."

"No, I joined two years ago. I'm from the Garrison."

"Oh." I nodded. "Right." I turned to the window again, watching a flock of birds fly from a tree.

It seemed Simon hadn't finished talking to me. He smiled, and leaned in closer to whisper.

"The king said alot about you."

I raised an eyebrow. "Right. All bad probably."

"How did you even land your job?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you know, how did you go from a normal trainee, to the commander of the MP's?" He asked.

I sighed, then began.

"I was in the MP's since I was 16. When I was 22, I fell pregnant with my daughter. Her father is in the Scouts, so he wasn't there because he was on that three year expedition and got injured really badly. Anyway, I was a single mother. I guess I just continued doing my job like normal, obeying orders and just being an MP member. I was moved up to captain position when I was 21, so I was already pretty high up. I had a big maternity leave, had the baby, then went straight back to work. I guess people thought it was impossible for a woman so young to go straight back to work like that, as if it had never happened. Anyway, I was called into the Commander's office, and he told me he was retiring, and after some thought he had decided to give me the role."

"Wow. That's incredible. And you revolutionized the MP's, didn't you?"

"Umm, yeah I suppose," I muttered. He smiled. "What about you, the king's accomplice, that's big isn't it?"

He laughed, nodding slightly. "Well, it's better than where I used to work," he smiled sadly to the floor. I raised an eyebrow, and frowned.

He seemed to ignore his sadness though, and reached his hand out again to shake mine.

"Well, its great to meet you Commander Leonhardt."

I smirked. "Please, call me Annie. I insist."

"Oh, okay Annie," he smiled. I smiled back.

"This is very exciting, seeing the wall, don't you think?" Pixis asked me then. I nodded.

"Yeah, great. After all these years."

"Indeed."

The carriage was silent for a while as we made our way into Trost District. Simon continued to look up and catch my eye, smiling occasionally at me.

When the gate opened, and we rode through, the people of the district stopped and stared in awe at the royal carriage.

"The royal family don't really come here often," Simon explained to me.

"Oh right."

I ducked my head, slightly embarrassed by all the staring faces.

The district's Garrison were all there to greet us, including Rico.

The King went out first to greet them, followed by Simon, then Pixis, then me. I waited back a bit longer, taking a deep breath before climbing out of the carriage.