Eight

(Armin's POV)

"Help me stop the bleeding! Quick! Move over, make way! Get him to a bed!"

I was carried by the nurses on a stretcher to the hospital ward, where I was put in a bed and tied up to a heart monitor. They were frantic, trying to stop all the bleeding that was now seeping out of my leg.

The bleeding did stop when Petra was looking after me, before we arrived, but as soon as we were back in the walls, the Garrison weren't careful enough, and while pushing away all the families and friends, my wound burst open again. I was rushed as quickly as I could to the hospital.

Everything was blurry once again. I didn't know what to do. With so much people around me, I lay there, in my Scout uniform, going in and out of consciousness. A nurse came over holding a huge needle.

Then, I was out like a light.

When I woke up again, I tried to sit up, but the pain was too much, and I fell back down on the hard pillow. I took a slow, shaky breath as my eyes tried adjusting to the dim light. It was late, there was no noise to be heard at all.

A bird called in the distance and a few voices were heard outside. I was so happy to be back to safety, yet I only really wanted to see Eren and Mikasa.

"Armin?" I heard a voice whisper. I jumped, and a tall figure jumped up to get to my side."I'm sorry! I hope I didn't scare you! I'm on duty, that means you are under my care. Any questions?"

I could just make out Hanji's face in the light. Her hands on her hips, and a big grin on her face. I sighed.

"Where are the others?"

"Oh, most are here, and a few others are at their homes, visiting family, or in the Military Police Base in town."

I blinked. "W-who's here?"

"Well, its easier to say that Commander Erwin, Levi, and maybe about seven others aren't here. Everyone else, including your friends, are all here. Erwin went for a meeting with the Military Police."

My heart fluttered as she repeated the military branch where she was right now. I never saw her when we arrived, I was asleep in the carriage. But I know she was there, she was always so passionate about her job, she was must have been escorting us.

"Oh, speaking of Military Police," Hanji continued. "Someone came running over here to see you. Erwin was here with you while the nurses were sorting you, and he saw her straight away. Stopped her from seeing inside. She really was upset. Had been there a while wanting to check on you. Erwin followed her out, asking her to take him to the commander of the MP's. Anyway, she didn't come back. I don't know who she was."

I just frowned in answer again. "Hey, are you alright Armin?" Hanji asked.

She then realised that my morphine had worn out, and went to refill the bag that held it. Once more was put into my system, I nodded slowly in thanks. She smiled, giving a reassuring rub on my shoulder.

"It'll be alright. You're very lucky, you know. I've never seen anyone, well, apart from Eren, survive such a horrible attack from a titan. He bit your leg clean off!"

I nodded again. The bleeding had finally stopped, but not before it had drained my body. I had lost so much, I was weak and unable to move.

Hanji smiled. "You're in a special ward. They're great here, you'll get better, don't worry. In no time! For now, though, you're not going anywhere for a while. And once you're better, you can join the other members. Like Connie. He's next door. He's gonna come and visit you tomorrow." She turned to look at the clock on the wall. "Well, today. Its very early, you sure you can't fall asleep?"

I shook my head. She nodded.

After a moment or so of silence, my arm started moving again. Hanji noticed, looking up to see me move my hand along to feel, for the first time since it happened, the stump of a leg I had left. It had been completely ripped apart from the knee down, so I suppose it could have been worse. But it felt strange, and I circled the huge tooth mark that remained. It was plastered up well, but i could still feel every detail. The bone, the skin. My hand moved up, away from my leg, and I placed it into my slowly beating heart.

"You've lost a lot of blood. Don't worry, they're going to give you some more tomorrow." Hanji reassured. I nodded again, trying to open my mouth, but failing. She remained sitting on a chair right next to me all through the night, until I finally drifted into an uncomfortable sleep.

A sleep in which I dreamt of Annie Leonhardt.