Part Two: Nineteen

"Hey Armin, Mikasa! Look what came through today!"

Mikasa and I were eating breakfast when a small crowd gathered in the courtyard, looking down at a letter in Corporal Levi's hands. They seemed happy and surprised by it.

We ran over. They moved out of the way, and Levi passed the letter to me.

It had the Military Police logo at the top, and the address stated it was from Karanese, a city in the east of Wall Rose.

It was from the MP's there. They've volunteered to come and help us. They're coming in a matter of days. I scanned through intensely, gathering every piece of information. They were going to send 200 men, from the Karanese district only for now, and eventually, they may send more of the MP's out. I was thrilled by the letter, so much so that I hardly noticed the signature at the bottom.

Of course, she's the commander. Annie wrote this letter, and signed it proudly at the bottom. The words "Head Commander, Annie Leonhardt," gave me a shiver. My finger stroked the neat handwriting. I smiled.

Thank you Annie.

To get 200 extra pair of hands was very useful indeed. I was grateful, and I knew by their expressions that everybody else was.

"That's great!" Sasha exclaimed. "Now we've got the MP's helping! Finally!" She grinned. I nodded proudly.

Mikasa put her hand on my shoulder, smiling kindly at me.

* * *

"When can we take a brake?" Sasha moaned, dangling from her ODM gear. "I'm too tired!"

"Really Sasha? We had a brake about half an hour ago!" I laughed. She huffed, going down to get some more cement to pass to some volunteers further away.

Connie laughed, blushing and shaking his head. I raised an eyebrow, but he just shook his head.

"Wait for me Sash!" He laughed, jumping up after her. The collided, tangling wires and bursting into fits of giggles. I rolled my eyes, walking away to find Eren and Mikasa. While I was however, someone called my name. I turned around to see Erwin and Hanji.

"Hello Armin!" Hanji grinned.

"Hi. What can I do for you?"

"Well, we have quite a big favour. The Scouts on the other side need your altered 3DM gear. Commander Zita is in Stohess in four days. You can ride there in that time can't you?"

I nodded. Erwin walked forward.

"Simply meet her there, and give the prototype. She knows a blacksmith in town that will duplicate them. You'll be gone a while. A week, maybe more. Good luck soldier. Go the way to Trost, then to Stohess. It's safe that way."

"Alright. Will do. Anything else?"

"Yes. While you're in Trost, take this letter to Commander Rico. She'll take it to Pixis. And finally, if you see Commander Leonhardt at all, give her my sincere thanks."

I nodded, gulping slightly. "I will sir. Thank you."

"Would you like someone to go with you?"

"Oh, umm, no, thanks. I'll be fine. Thank you."

"Get ready then Arlert. Don't be late leaving. You should be in Trost by tomorrow morning. Rest, then go to Stohess. You should arrive there in a day. Good luck."

I nodded, and ran back to the temporary stables, where the horses were being kept. Without telling any of my friends, I left for the base, to get a bag, with necessities.

Events like this happened often. The superiors would tell us where to go and what to do, be it delivering a letter or collecting supplies from a trader, and we'd be expected to drop everything and go. You always felt lucky to go. It was a brake from the work and the harshness. For me at least, I loved being in the open, riding with the wind, enjoying the freedom.

It all came to an end too soon, as before I knew it I was sending a signal in the dark night, in blue smoke, to tell the Garrison I was coming into Wall Rose, and into Trost.

It was still dark, and the streets were silent in the cold early morning. I shuddered as the memories of our first war against the titans came flooding back into my mind, yet also the happiness of being successful in the war also came back, and I proudly walked through the gate into the city. I made my own way to a hostel, and found a room to rest in.

As I came in, I ran towards the window, opening it and looking through. The city hadn't changed one bit. The wind blew gently through my hair. I sighed, closing the window and lying on the bed.

As I did so, I did what I did every night.

I looked up at the ceiling and wondered. I wondered what was Annie Leonhardt doing right now, and was she missing me like I missed her.