Twelve

"Mummy!" She called, from the other end of the room. I was in the middle of talking to a messenger from the king, who was giving me an invitation.

"Yes darling?" She grinned, running over with a piece of paper, showing me her piece of art. "Oh, its beautiful! Well done sweetheart." She grinned, blushing and giggling, before running back over to her pencil. The messenger smiled at her, then passed the invitation, bowing and leaving. I stared down at the smooth surface, ripping it open without hesitation.

My heart stopped, then started again.

Commander of the Military Police, Miss Annie Leonhardt,

You are invited to the belated celebrations of the arrival of the Scouting Legion in the palace courtyard at eight o' clock tomorrow evening. We expect you to sit alongside the king at his table.

You are allowed one guest to come with you if you wish.

Yours sincerely,

His Majesty The King.

I stared at the paper. "Great," I muttered. The king would be at my back if I didn't go. I scowled.

Armin will be there. Won't he? I'll finally get to talk to him. I sighed the thoughts away. I doubt it. He'll be busy, everyone will want to talk to him. I'll just have to stand around and wait my turn then.

At least I'd make somebody's day, I thought as I opened the door.

"Hitch!" I yelled down the corridor.

"Yeah?" She asked back.

"Come here please."

* * *

"Ohh! This is so exciting! I've never been to a party before!"

"No, neither have I."

"Thanks for the invite Annie! It means so much! I'm so excited!"

"Yeah, no problem."

We continued towards the huge door, where a guard was standing. Recognising me immediately, he opened the door in. I was wearing a dress that I hadn't worn in two years. It was a dark green, came down to my ankles, two straps, and had a thin see-through fabric covering my shoulders. I used to feel like a princess wearing it, but now I just felt like a bored commander forced to go to a party with her team captain.

It was still very beautiful anyway, although maybe not on me.

"This should be so much fun!" Hitch cried. I nodded.

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Come on!" We went through the gate, and info the party that was alive with music and colour and vibrancy. I looked around nervously, and Hitch pulled me over to some Military Police members from the other cities.

"Hello, miss Leonhardt," someone said. I shook his hand, nodding. "Its a pleasure to meet you," he said. I nodded, thankful.

"Thank you. Please, call me Annie." We carried on talking for a while to the big group, until i finally felt comfortable.

Then I left them and walked away over towards the food table, taking a glass of wine, smirking at the happy party. I took a deep breath. Then out of nowhere:

"Annie Leonhardt! Well, hello! Aren't you a sight for sore eyes!"

The happy, bubbly voice was so recognisable I didn't even have to turn around. Sasha Braus was skipping over, in a red dress, followed by Connie Springer, who was on crutches. She grinned.

"We were just coming over for the food! But you're here! Hi! Its been so long!"

"Hello Sasha," I muttered. "Hi Connie. You okay?"

He was smiling, and followed my gaze to his leg. "Oh, yeah, I'm fine."

"Good."

"You look so pretty Annie! God its been a while!"

"Yeah... Its nice to, urgh, see you."

She laughed. "And you Annie!"

Hitch waved at me from the other side. Sasha noticed.

"Well, you have somewhere to be! Catch up later, okay?" She smiled. I shrugged.

"Yeah, okay."

I walked off. Then Connie stopped me.

"Armin's here you know." I turned around. He smiled. "He wants to see you Annie."

I hesitated, then nodded.

"Yeah, I will."

I walked away as quickly as possible out of their view into the crowd of people.

* * *

(Third Person POV)

Connie shrugged, and moved Sasha, who was still watching Annie, towards the food table. After taking some, they started walking away back to their friends.

"Mmm! Yummy!"

They were sharing jokes between mouthfuls, but stopped immediately and in time with each other when they heard two men speaking.

"You know Annie Leonhardt?"

One man looked up from his plate. "Yeah?"

"Well, I was talking to her earlier. She's so different these days! In a good way. That daughter of hers really has bought out something in her, even if its just a little."

"Oh yeah, her daughter is just gorgeous. Fancy that though, a single mother becoming commander of the MP's within months of having a child!"

"Its quite incredible."

Sasha almost choked on a piece of bread and Connie froze.

Annie's secret had been spilled.