Part Two: Thirty Two

The sun was awakening from behind the mountains. I sat on my bed, panting, and staring at the sheets, thinking everything through.

I've missed the first four years of her tiny life. I haven't been there for her, or for Annie.

I knew I should have turned back. Then Annie would have found out, and she would have told me. She would have figured out where we were, and sent a letter with the good news. Then I'd have something worth fighting for, and when we'd come back to Stohess, victorious and proud, I would be greeted by her warm smile and my daughters happy laughter.

I can't believe it. It hasn't quite sunken in just how it feels.

I look around the room first, before jumping out of bed, changing, and leaving. I went outside, sitting alone on the courtyard steps, watching the wind dance in the air, and listening to the busy birds.

I closed my eyes , and tried to picture it.

I tried to picture me and Annie holding her hands as we walk down the riverside, I tried to imagine her sitting on my lap, as I read to her. I could picture it all, all except holding her as a baby. I never saw her as a baby, I never experienced it. That made me feel worse. Annie raised her on her own. She didn't have any help. She had a child and still managed to reach the role of Head Commander of the Military Police. She's incredible. Yet what have I done for that child? Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

I sigh a deep, shaky breath, and stand up.

That's going to change.

I run back to the bedroom, entering quietly, before gathering all of my belongings. I then run across the courtyard to the stables, tying everything I own to my horse, before getting food from the kitchen. That should be enough.

I blink. I'm actually doing this.

I start dragging my horse to the way out, when I hear a sound from behind me.

"Armin? What are you doing?"

It was Sasha and Mikasa.

A shiver ran down my spine. I turned around slowly.

"I'm leaving," I said.

They looked at each other, confused. "What?"

"I can't explain right now, but I need to go back to Stohess."

"Armin! Are you mad!? That's a weeks journey!"

"I know. But I don't care. I have to go back to Annie," I said, walking forward, without looking back once.

"Wait!" Mikasa yelled. I carried on ignoring her. "Armin, I know about Emilee!"

I stopped in my tracks.

"What?"

I turned slowly around. Sasha moved her gaze between us, confused, and I stared straight at Mikasa.

"I had my suspicions. As soon as you came back saying she had a daughter, I couldn't believe it. When I saw that child she was at least two years old. Take that away, and the nine months of pregnancy, and you two were still together. That was three years ago, when we left on the expedition. It had to be your child. So when I was in the area, I went to the Military Police base, and I overheard Annie giving your name to this guy that wanted the fathers name for the council records. I stormed in, and she told me the truth. She made me promise not to tell you. She wanted to tell you herself."

"That's why you were acting strange yesterday," I muttered to myself. That's it. It all made sense. Last week, Annie was trying to tell me that I was the father, that's why it was so hard to tell me. Mikasa shut her eyes, expecting me to hit her or yell, but instead, I wrapped my arms around her. She froze for a second, before relaxing and hugging back.

"Thank you Mikasa. Thank you for telling me."

"Oh, its really okay."

Sasha, who had been quiet all this time, shook her head, grinning. "This is just amazing! I can't believe it, you're a father Armin!"

I nodded, hugging her as well. "Guys, I, I have to go. I have to go and see her." I said, grabbing my horse again. Their smiles faded.

"Armin, that's not really a good idea..."

"Why not?"

"Because we need you here," came a voice from the distance. Sasha and Mikasa moved, and Erwin and Hanji came into view, walking over, concerned.

"Armin! Get back here!" Hanji almost yelled. I blinked.

Erwin stopped in front of me.

"Arlert. You saw what happened last week. Titans are closer than we think. This wall isn't building itself. You pledged your allegiance to the Scouts. You cannot turn back. Especially someone as useful as you. We therefore forbid you from leaving."

My nostrils flared. Erwin raised an eyebrow.

As per usual, I gave up, sighing. "Yes, sir."

"Good." He was about to leave when he turned back around. "Arlert. This is serious. Don't be stupid. You play a key role in the rebuild. Do not disappoint me."

"I won't, sir," I sighed. Sasha had her hand on my back, and Mikasa watched me carefully. Hanji gave a supportive smile, before she and Erwin walked away to the kitchen. I stared at the floor.

"Its alright. Don't worry, I'll see her next time I go to Stohess."

Sasha and Mikasa exchanged looks.

"Oh, you went to sleep last night, and missed the announcement..."

"What? What is it?" I asked them. Sasha bit her lip.

"The titan attack proved to the Scouts that, well, until further notice, umm..." She sighed.

Mikasa looked up.

"They aren't letting any gates, from the Wall Maria land, open into the cities of Wall Rose, until the wall has been completely rebuilt. Its too dangerous."

"Wait? That means..." I gasped, my hand landing on my mouth.

"We're stuck here until we finish the job."