Part Three: Thirty Nine

"Good morning Annie."

Mikasa and Connie were waiting by the door as I made my way down from my bedroom.

"Morning."

I yawned, and stretched. The living conditions here were extremely different to the ones I was used to, and only made me feel worse about their situation.

"You've certainly changed a great deal in five years, I'll give you that."

As it was quite late when we arrived last night, with no great lighting, I could finally see their faces in bright light. They were smiling, happy to be entertaining the rich city folk than to be working.

"So have you Ann," said Connie. I blushed at the nickname he and Sasha always used, my memory trailing back to ten years ago.

They lead me to another house, which was where they all ate, as well as where the MP members slept.

A few members were busy at work cooking simple foods, and handing everybody a plate with breakfast.

A small roll of bread, an apple and some potatoes.

Connie, Mikasa and I made our way over to where Bertholdt and Reiner were sitting, outside on the grass.

As we all sat together eating, I couldn't help but feel comfortable and happy, finally reunited with old friends.

I took this moment to really look at each of them. Connie was much taller, and had sharper, more defined features. The same goes for Jean, who's hair was longer and eyes were bigger. Mikasa had also changed a lot. Much like me, in a way, she looked older, more mature, and looking past the bags under her eyes and the small scars, she was prettier. Reiner and Bertholdt where still huge, dirtier and scruffier.

I took a deep, long breath, soaking in the atmosphere. This was probably the first day off they had had in a very long time, and the very fact that I was there with them to enjoy it filled me with a new sense of hope that time was edging closer to the finishing of the rebuild and their safe return.

"So, Annie? How's life been back in Wall Sina?"

I hesitated at that question, sighing at the lack of excitement the whole wall had experienced. Maybe that way only me, but I certainly didn't get up to much.

"Pretty boring, actually. We've just been anticipating your return really."

"Oh, right. And how is my goddaughter?"

I almost choked. Judging by his playful grin and Mikasa's smirk, it was a joke.

"She's fine, thanks. She just had her ninth birthday actually."

"Oh, god. Time flies, eh?"

"Indeed."

"Tell me, is she like you or Armin?"

They seemed a lot more interested in our daughter than I first thought they would. Then again, it isn't often that a Scout member has a child, and nobody really knew anything about her. They all leaned in closer, smiling, ready to hear more.

"Umm, well, I think its half and half right now."

"I cant wait to meet her. I'm sure she's beautiful."

"Thank you Connie."

We finished our food, and as I put my plate away in the kitchen, Pixis came walking over.

"Annie? The king wants to talk to us."

"Oh, right."

I followed him over to the house he was staying in, and into the dining room where we sat, with Erwin in front of him.

As I walked in, Erwin stood up to shake my hand.

"I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you properly yesterday Miss Leonhardt. Its wonderful to see you again."

"And you. What was it you wanted to see us about?"

The king straightened up, and smiled.

"I take it you know the arrangements for today?"

"Yes, sir."

"The Scouts will take us around Shiganshina District by horse, and we'll leave through the gate we came in through back into Wall Rose territory, to take a small tour down to see what it is like."

"Okay."

I hadn't realised that Erwin was watching me, frowning right at me. I turned and raised an eyebrow, changing the subject.

"I take it the Military Police members have served you well there past few years?" I asked him.

He nodded. "Yes, they have. They have been of a bit help."

"I am very glad to hear that."

He hesitated, and frowned. I looked away. Simon stood behind the king in the corner of the room, looking at the floor, and I sighed deeply, remembering back to last night.

Finding out that the Scouts had no idea where Armin was scared me, a substantial amount. Not only did I not know where he was, but I didn't know what his situation was. I shiver just thinking of it. Perhaps I should ask Erwin about it. Soon. After the king has been satisfied, then I will ask him.

"Wonderful, that's settled then. I look forward to it."

As I left, the Scouts were waiting outside, with some horses ready. I went to the stables and got the horse I borrowed from the Garrison, taking a small moment to stroke its nose and be to my own thoughts.

"Ready Annie?" A voice came from the doorway, as Simon smiled up at me. I nodded, and pulled the horse out, ready to see more of Wall Maria.

I walked with Simon up to the royal carriage, where everybody was ready to go.

"Okay, ready everybody?" Erwin called from the front.

"Yes," Simon called back, speaking for the King. He then climbed into the carriage, and sat as close to the window as possible, nodding at me, as I rode my horse next to him.

Mikasa looked back once more, and caught my eye, and smiled.

Everything was going to be okay. I think about that quote a lot. The amount of people that have said that to me, the amount of times that I had ignored it, or shoved it off. But for the first time ever I was finally seeing some truth in it.

The Scouts were almost finished on the rebuild. The very reason they were away slaying titans was to reclaim Wall Maria, and now they had almost finished rebuilding it.

That meant that they will come home. And not only will I be happy, but so will Connie and Sasha, Mikasa and Eren. Simon will finally have a place to remember his wife.

Things are changing. My impossible fairy tale is starting to unravel itself, as are everybody else's.