Part Three: Forty

"As you can see, we've used the wonderful steel frames and the extra hard concrete from Nedlay District."

I smirked again at Erwin's over-exaggeration of the walls, trying to impress the king as much as possible. We had stopped outside of the new gate, after being taken all the way around the Shiganshina District. All the time I rode close to the carriage, behind the Scouts, who pointed out all the important aspects of the wall.

"The infrastructure of this gate is fantastic," the king remarked.

"Indeed it is. There is still some work to be done on the mechanism of it, but that is being sorted very soon, I promise," Erwin replied.

We carried on through the gate, admiring the inside, and rode on further away from the wall so that the king could get a full view of it.

"Look at that. It's finally ours again," he said, staring up in admiration. We stopped to walk around and stretch our legs, and the king jumped out of the carriage and went over to shake Erwin's hand.

"You're work here these past few tears will not go un-awarded. I am very proud of my Scouting Legion."

He smiled. "Its no problem, your majesty. We're only doing our jobs."

"Thank you Commander."

They walked away, back to his carriage, smiling proudly. I sighed, rubbing some mud off of my horses nose.

Mikasa and Connie were stretching when they walked over to men. I smiled.

"What do you think?"

"I think your commander is trying very hard to win the kings commander of the year award. That's fore sure."

They laughed.

"Speaking of, what's it like being a commander? I mean, you're our age, and look.at you!"

"Oh, yeah... I keep forgetting about that," I blushed.

They both grinned. I decided to move the attention from me to them.

"What's your plans for when you return back?"

Connie smiled. Mikasa frowned a little.

"Marry Sasha. I hope."

Mikasa sighed. "Yeah, I just want to be reunited with the rest of the scouts." 

I nodded. "Me too." I looked up at the wall again. "Great job, by the way. I cant believe its actually happening."

"Yeah. It's quite amazing."

"Alright, that's enough talking. The king has a busy schedule. Let's go!" Erwin said, coming out of the carriage.

"Bye Annie. We'll see you in a bit."

"Okay. Bye."

As I climbed back onto my horse, I saw Simon walk over, looking extremely serious. I frowned.

"Hello Simon."

"Annie. I know where Arlert is. Don't say a word. He's in the east, with the rest of them. Ride on to Karanese, and carry on going into the east city. He's there, in the Scout base."

"Simon..."

"Go to him Annie. You deserve to be happy. Go."

I stared in disbelief at his words. I looked back at Mikasa, Connie, and the rest of the scouts, who were talking among each other, and starting to move.

"Simon! I can't just leave..."

"I'll cover for you. I'll come up with something. Go Annie."

"What about them?" I asked. "They need happiness more than I do."

"You know we can't help them. I'm sorry."

"Okay. Fine."

I walks over to Mikasa and Connie, with my horse.

"Don't say anything, just go. Take my horse, go to Karanese. Then ride on to Wall Maria. The Scouts are there. Sasha and Eren. Go."

"What?! But, Annie!?"

"Go on, I'll cover for you. You need commander approval before you leave, don't you? Well, I'm a commander, aren't I? I'll tell Erwin that you've gone to get more supplies. Take my horse. You'll get into Karanese if they know the MP sent you. Go on you two. Go to the Scouts."

Naturally, they were both extremely shocked and lost for words.

"But.. But what about..."

"Don't worry about me. You need this more than I do."

"Wait, what about when we get there?"

"Squad Levi aren't there anymore. They've gone to the north to help on some work that's been delayed," Simon said, walking over. He looked at me, worried. I shook my head, and smiled, turning back to the two of them.

"Go to them Mikasa. Send my love to Armin."

Before they could object, I started to walk away, with Simon following.

"Annie? What are you-"

"They need it more than I do."

"What are they going to do?"

"See each other, catch up three years. They can work together, and all live with each other again. I don't want them separated.Then when the job is done, they can all come home together."

"You'd do that? For them?"

I looked back at a panicked Mikasa and an excited Connie, and smiled.

"Of course I would."

Then they mounted their horses and rode away towards the distance, while Erwin and the rest started moving in the opposite direction.

"Annie, where are they going?" Erwin looked over, confused and bewildered, at Mikasa and Connie. Reiner raised an eyebrow.

"They've gone to get some more supplies and materials, Commander. I gave them permission."

"But... Urgh, alright. Yes, you can do that. You should have checked with me first before they went."

"I apologize."

"No need. Let's go."

I scowled at how distracted and uncaring Erwin seemed to be. Forgotten his manners in the last six years, no doubt.

Simon walked back over to the carriage, gibing me one last look. I nodded at him, with a slight smile, and climbed back onto my horse.

Then I turned and watched Connie and Mikasa ride off into the tiny distance, Mikasa's arm raised and waving her gratitude towards me.