Five

"Morning Annie. Did you sleep well?" I was visiting Hitch, to discuss a few things. Marlo had also only arrived, and stood up as I walked through the door, ready to work.

"Yeah, fine actually." My head span. The memories of yesterday were swimming back. "There's big news. They're gonna announce it tonight."

"Oh yeah, what?"

I sat down at the table and sighed. "The scouts. They've regained wall Maria and are coming home."

Hitch dropped her teacup and Marlo's mouth opened wide.

"What? Are you serious?"

"Yes. Now, look. The King has put our division in charge of assisting them."

Their faces turned slightly nervous as they looked from one another and back to me. I knew what they were thinking, and decided, to avoid awkwardness, that I'd ignore it.

"How did you find out?"

"Corporal Levi sent a letter. It was short, but enough."

"Right. Annie, its going to be okay, isn't it?"

"What do you mean?"

"There's bound to be some casualties."

"Please, don't say that." I sighed. Hitch sighed.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

"No, it's fine. But, yeah, there might be. So that's why we have to help."

"Okay."

Marlo had been looking through the window the whole time. "When are they coming back?"

"A matter of weeks, Levi said."

"This is pretty exciting though! We have Wall Maria back!"

"Yeah, but we have to rebuild. Which could take a long time."

"It'll be okay, Annie," Marlo said, walking over.

"I know. Just, get back to work. I want you in my office in an hour," I muttered, standing up and walking out quickly. Once I was outside, the new trainees were having morning training while everyone was beginning to wake up around Stohess. I returned back to my office where she was sitting on my chair, playing with a toy.

"Mummy!" She opened up her arms and I picked her up, my smile returning.

"Hello baby."

Even when she smiled right at me, innocent and happy, I couldn't bare the thought that she didn't know her own father. Seeing her looking at that picture of Armin had made me feel anxious.

What am I going to say when Armin returns? How will he take it? We are no longer romantically involved with each other. I doubt he'll even think of me at all.

I must move on. I've said this for three years. Yes, he might be coming back, but he no longer want to be with me. It would cause problems if he were to find out he was a father.

It was hard enough as it was to keep a high profile and show everyone that I wasn't stupid. Some on the council even tried to make me abort. But I wasn't going to, and it was the best decision of my life.

Being pregnant wasn't easy. I wasn't the head of the Military Police back then, but I played a high role in maintaining peace and order. All of that was put on hold, and I was given the whole nine months off duty due to the high risk of danger.

As for anyone other than people at work and the hierarchy, no one knew. The scouts were away and I have no family. There is no one to adore Emilee apart from me and the Military Police. Word spread quickly about who the father was. It was obvious, and he was given bad rumors as well. I made sure they were all stopped immediately.

After she was born, a few people were against the idea of a single mother in the Military Police, and I was determined to change their reactions. I worked hard, and soon after I was appointed the Commander of the MP.   

No. Emilee doesn't need him. I've done a perfectly good job of looking after her on my own.

"Hey, Annie?"

My thoughts were completely cut off. I was staring at nothing, Emilee playing with my hair, giggling. I looked up.

"Yes?"

It was Rico from the Garrison. She was glad to see me.

"Oh, hi Rico," I said. "Its been a while."

"I'm sorry. I came to check. Is it true what Dot said?"

I blinked. "About the Scouts? Yeah, its true."

She grinned. "Oh, wow. After all this time. How great."

"Yep," I sighed. She knew it was a touchy subject, and stayed away from it. Instead, directing her attention towards Emilee.

"Oh, isn't she adorable! You've grown so much since I last saw you!"

Emilee blushed and giggled, hiding her face in my neck. I smiled.

"You've done a great job," she stated. I smiled.

"Thank you."

She nodded. "You've really changed this place. I'm impressed."

"Thank you," I repeated, this time in a timid whisper.

"I'm sure he'd be proud of the woman you've become."

"I know he would. But its not that simple anymore."

"I know Annie. It'll be okay. Now, I must go. Garrison meeting. Goodbye Annie, I'll see you soon."

"Bye."

Everyone was constantly telling me it will be okay. Will it? Will everything work out okay in the end? I hardly have my dashing prince charming coming to rescue me, and I hardly have a happily ever after with him.

But I have my daughter. And if that's as much as a happy ending as I can get, then I'll take it.