» Twelve «

Jake
I began to hear a low humming sound. My eyes peeled open slowly, blinded by the clinical white surrounding. Where am I? This can't be heaven because I don't deserve to be here. I try to sit up but I'm stopped by a sharp pain to my abdomen. I don't really remember what happened, or how I got here. My eyes adjust to the harsh light that's intensified by the over use of white washed walls. I look down at my hand, there's a needle stuck in it, taped down by a large plaster. I follow the cord that's attached to it, which leads to a clear liquid bag and highly annoying bleeping machine.

"Jake?" A female voice silently called. I looked over, in a chair curled up was a girl. I couldn't make out who it was until she joined me at the bed side.
"Jess!? W...what are you doing here? And what happened to your face?" She looked away, her lip was cut and her right eye was bruised.
"Daniel pushed me and I fell into some tables and chairs"
"But why did he push you?" she hesitated.
"Because I called him a moron and shouted him to stop hurting you" she looked away again.
"A student went to a teacher who called an ambulance. We thought you were dead. They said if the medical staff had arrived any later your lungs would have collapsed."
"I'm fine, honestly. Look! I've never been better" I half heartily laughed but she didn't laugh back.
"Jake, why aren't you taking this seriously? You could have...you almost...died. You've got two broken ribs, internal bruising and cuts everywhere."

I can't be here any longer. Nicole will notice I'm gone and dad will be home in a few days time. I pulled the needle out of my hand, and a rush of pain came over me.
"JAKE! Stop this!" God this girl was so clingy. Why was she even here?
"Look I appreciate your help and all but I'm not supposed to be here. I have to go" I began walking out of the cubical forgetting I'm in a backless gown.
"You can't just walk out of the hospital Jake" Jess called after me
"Just watch me" I called back.

It was surprisingly easy to discharge yourself. I found my clothes and possessions in a cubby hole next to my cubical and slipped into them, and then left. It was literally as easy as that. I just walked out of the hospital. Well it was more of a grunting hobble than a walk. Either way I got the first bus out of there.

Raven
It was getting late and Jake wasn't home yet. He's usually back before 5pm yet it was approaching 8pm. Today I spent most of my day doing what I like to call cat fishing. Now what I mean by this is, is leaving the door open and leaving food on the front door. Usually one or two cats would show up but I left some really stinky tuna out so today I managed to catch 5 cats. They began to roam the living room and kitchen. They looked hungry so I helped them out a little and opened a few cupboards. And unfortunately, due to their lack of  opposable thumbs, they couldn't open half of the food that was in the cupboards, so I may have helped them out a little bit.

I think they liked me because they came to rub themselves on me but fell on their sides instead. Stupid cats, you can't show affection to a dead person.

Nicole came down the stairs and had to take a double look before taking in what was before her. She screamed and immediately all the cats began hissing, as Nicole shooed them out the door. It wasn't easy of course, they're cats, they don't listen to humans. I think it took her a good hour to get all the cats out, and another half hour to tidy up all the mess they/I had made. I just sat on the kitchen counter pretending to be the composer to the classical music that was playing on the radio. I think Nicole had had enough of trying to turn it off constantly because the next thing I know she's throwing it on the floor and stamping on it.
"HA! How do you like that eh?" I was stunned, she just abused a radio for no reason. Granted I may have been turning it on every time she turned it off, but still. I liked that radio.

Finally Jake arrived home around 8:20pm. I was in our room when he arrived so I immediately noticed his wounds. Jesus fucking Christ. It looked like he'd been run over by a monster truck. Like tire marks and everything. Ok not tire marks but you get what I mean. He looked bloody awful is what I'm saying.

He laid on his bed and let out a massive sigh. You could see his pain through his eyes. For the whole weekend he laid in bed, I still don't know what happened to him but my guess would be that he got beat up. Aren't people supposed to go to hospital when they're like this. Then again he has no one that would stay with him, I would...if I could.

Authors note: this chapter is dedicated to Lights-Are-Bright for the constant amazing comments and votes. Thank you so much. New dedication every chapter.