Chapter 4: Wendy Kay and the Iron Gates

Ells' POV
I walk to the small well and look down into the deep dark abyss below.

See, the Iron Lantern isn't actually a lantern made out of iron.

That's what they want you to think.

For most people without magic, they think the Iron Lantern is a place so high, that it reaches above the clouds, and nobody without magic would be able to find it.

Pfft, that's a lie. Stupid folklore.

Everybody with magic knows that the Iron Lantern is actually underground, deep into Earth's core. Very helpful for those people whose specialty lies in Earth Magic.

You get it? Iron core. Iron Lantern. Yeah, ok. It isn't that good. I'm usually bad at puns...

Anyways, by the look of this hole, this jump could hurt somebody! Most importantly, me.

Luckily, I have a plan.

I stand on top of the well. Taking all of my bravery with me, I let my feet slip off of the side of the well, and I start to fall.

It was like Alice in Wonderland all over again. Man, I love that movie!

I close my eyes and try not to focus on falling, but on my destination. The ground. I open my eyes, and look around. I landed on the ground gracefully. I place my two feet on the sleek rock floor, with a little grin. I just successfully used Air Magic.

That felt amazing. It almost felt like I was flying in the sky, even though I was actually falling.

I look around, until I saw the blazing red torch. I walk towards it, and turn to the right, and my eyes grew wide, my jaw dropping to the floor.

This cavern was more beautiful than any place I've ever been to in my whole life! The entire place was so shiny and clean! Some of the bright stones on the walls glowed brightly.

I slowly walked around, looking everywhere with my eyes wide open. I wish I could taken a picture to savior this moment. Mom would've loved this!

"Hello? Um... miss?" Somebody asked, tapping my shoulder.

I turn around and see a girl with hazel eyes. Her brown hair and bright blue highlights were put into a neat braid.

"Do you know where the Iron Gates are? I think I lost my way down there." She said, pointing down to one of the the long dark confusing hallways.

"Well, I think it's down that way. I'm going there myself. For the games, of course." I said to her.

"Really?! Let's sit together! My name is Wendy. Wendy Kay! I'm from Sector 7!" She says, very perky like. She reminds me a lot like Mae. The highlights, her smile... She is just like Mae...

"My name is Ells Ender, Sector 14." I said, as we walk towards the gate.

"Your the Sector 14 girl?! Wow! It's a pleasure!" She says with a huge grin plastered on her face. I smiled back.

The gate was a secret door, with the logo of the games engraved in front of it.

I touch the logo, and it starts to glow. I step back and Wendy does the same. With a low creek, the gates slowly start to open.