Scars

I look at myself in the mirror and trace my fingers along the puckered lines that cross my body. The books all say that I should be proud of them, that they are badges of honor, proving my survival. I can't seem to see past the gruesome memories that they produce. Flashes of Volto carving into my flesh while plotting the downfall of the young men that I love. Reliving the blast that tried to take Owen from me. Feeling echoes of the tortures my step mother invented solely for me.

I look away, unable to keep it up. I pull on my running gear and tie my hair up in a ponytail. I avoid letting my eyes focus as I pass the reflective surface.

It's a little after five in the morning, and today we have hours as a team. I know that I should be irritated with whoever caused the punishment, but secretly, I'm excited to see all of us together. Kota's right, we need the team building. I look over at Meanie and my heart melts. He's asleep, hunched over in the armchair that he dragged across the room and placed next to my bed.

That can't be comfortable.

I tiptoe up to him and a flash of wicked inspiration hits. I lean close, careful not to let my hair tickle him, and swipe a big, wet, lick across his cheek.

He jumps up, almost knocking my head with his and squeals like a child, wiping furiously at his face.

"What the fuck was that?" he hollers.

I smile innocently and look at him through my eyelashes. "Whatever do you mean, Gabriel?"

He stops his antics and narrows his eyes at me. "Oh, that's how you want to play it?" He smirks. "It is so on, Trouble."

I squeak as he lunges for me, and just barely manage to dance out of his reach. Someone laughs from the doorway and I see Sean standing there in a pair of purple pajamas and nothing else. I run and hide behind him and beg, "Save me!"

He smiles lazily at me and pulls me around to his front in a bear hug. "Good morning, Pookie," he murmurs into my hair. He spins me to so that my back is to his front and grins down at me over my shoulder. I'm caught in the feeling of his bare chest against my body and don't realize when his arms lock me into place. His eyes twinkle at me and he leans close. I think he's about to whisper something in my ear when he instead orders, "Now, Gabriel!"

I widen my eyes as Meanie's tongue swipes across my chin and can't help but laugh at how well they played me. "Touche," I giggle, and Sean's pupils grow so wide that there's only a small ring of green around them.

"Do I need to administer the cure for those?" he husks, and I feel that pleasant squirmy sensation in the pit of my stomach. He brings his lips closer and I'm torn between wanting him to close the gap, and being terrified that he will.

Gabriel clears his throat and the tension rushes out of the room. He grabs my hand and pulls me from Sean's embrace. "Let's go hunt down some coffee, Trouble. It's too fucking early, and if I'm going to have to run, I want to have at least a gallon of caffeine running in my blood."

***

I'm feeling nervous. I look out into the yard and see all nine of my guys stretching, and I can't help but be a little bit afraid of being rejected. I'm regretting wearing so little right now, and I turn to run up and grab a sweatshirt.

"Are you ready, Ten?" Kota calls out to me and I groan. I turn, and step out into the pre-dawn.
He looks at me quizzically and I shrug.

"Okay, today we're here because none of us are working very well as a team." Kota pauses and looks each of us in the eye. His voice grows stern, and he practically oozes authority. "We're going to start with a run for the first hour, and the second will be spent working in rotating partnerships." Gabriel whines, but quiets when Kota nails him with a glare. "We're out of sync," he barks, "and if that doesn't change, we will be meeting here every morning for the next two weeks until it does."